Flight Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TNkid

I am graduating college this Dec. (BBA Finance), have been flying for 8 years since age 15, and just need to spend a few hours in the books to get my private. Thats my background, but the dilema is how to persue a career as a pilot. I know there are many directions to go at this point, but I don't know anyone who has made the trip to ask. I have considered the military (been there once, but a long story) and also the different flight academies around the country(prefer east coast). If anyone has any advice to share, I would appreciate it greatly.

You are right! There are many options available. You just have to decide what is right for you depending on how you learn, what you can afford and how much time you can spare.

Some places promise quick tickets, but you will either have to have all of your tests completed and know everything before you go, or you will be fed from a fire hose by the school. Some places promise good quality training with the price tag to match.

In my opinion, colleges are one of the best places to train. If your college has a program, maybe you can work on your certificates there. The east cost has plenty of those school as well. If you are going to stay civilian, the CFI road is a good one to follow. Then you are able to make $$ while building time.

Get to know as many people as you can at your local airport. You never know who you might run into and what they have to offer.

Do your research, find out what works best for you and have a good time doing it! Good luck!

Military v. Civilian

I agree with flyboy757 that colleges are a good way to go. But, you have a degree and unless you are hell-bent on earning a B.S. in Aero Science you don't need another degree.

Plenty of good civilian sources of flight training. Choosing the best one for you takes some thought and reflection. I like a Part 141 flight school because the training is standardized and consistent, and going to a school imposes a certain measure of beneficial discipline. Many people suggest FBOs, but at many of them flight training is an afterthought. They may put fuel sales, charters and maintenance ahead of flight training, meaning you might arrive for a lesson to learn that your instructor went off on a trip with no one to cover for him. Now, if the FBO includes a school, that might be a different matter.

Of course, military takes the best candidates available. Training is second to none and you get great opportunities to fly advanced turbine aircraft, which will help you come separation time. But, it is the military. You have a time commitment to fulfill. You have to meet standards and there are few second chances. It's no skin of the military's nose if it washes you out because you are not a "customer." Moreover, military life isn't for everyone.

On the east coast, you can check out FlightSafety in Vero, www.flightsafetyacademy.com , Comair, www.comairacademy.com , Pan Am, www.panamacademy.com , or Airline Transport Professionals, http://www.allatps.com . All are in Florida. This list, http://www.narrows.com/aviation/fltschools.htm , has a ton of schools all over the country.

Good luck with your choice.

Latest resources

Back