• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flexjet Scamagement Hits a New Low

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many off the 154 a/c actually fly? I know previously aircraft count included Beechcraft without fewer than 2 engines and on the ramp? Also, "customers moving from competitor's programs" do include customers moving from FO to FX. A few of my friends are long-time FX owners and they are not a happy bunch.

How many off the 154 a/c actually fly? I know previously aircraft count included Beechcraft without fewer than 2 engines and on the ramp? Also, "customers moving from competitor's programs" do include customers moving from FO to FX. A few of my friends are long-time FX owners and they are not a happy bunch.

Frankly, we have no idea because transparency is at an all time low. Because of the pissing match Ricci is continuing with the union via furloughs and a fake VSP battle the company just lost, tell your friends to get ready for a much worse situation in April when we lose 45 more pilots.

The problem is aircraft crewing levels/ratios. We do not have adequate crewing to effectively operate much of our green aircraft on any given day (this means we have available aircraft sitting empty because we do not have enough pilots to fly them) and this is resulting in a days lift being divvyed up against what crews are available. This is also resulting in jammed packed days for crews and the resulting fatigue issues and a constant ridiculous game we play with musical aircraft and captains while on tour. Unfortunately, I can just about predict an accident is on the horizon and all I can do is make sure it's not me.

There is so much an owner can do to assure better service and safety but you don't and/or you don't follow up to make sure it's being done. You assume guys like Kenn Ricci know their business and are giving you the best bang for your buck but he fact is you are being taken advantage of and scammed.

You pay a ton of money because you assume you are getting well maintained aircraft, competent, rested and happy crews, and aircraft availability that should equal expectations on non peak days. For starters, you should insist on high overall crewing ratios for your fleet being a part of your contract with a financial incentive for the company to keep it. You should insist on pilots having 10 hours work days with a financial incentive for the company to keep it. You should insist on the company taking care of your investment and not showing up in a ragged out POS with airframe hours that do not represent honest fractionalized use. You should be asking your crew for the truth about delays and not depend on owner services to tell you the truth about anything.

The old Flexjet took care of their owners from top to bottom. However right now your only ally is your crew. And while pilots are still doing everything we can to take care of you on a daily basis, the fact is this company is being managed and run in a way that ties our hands. At the heart of what is making most pilots miserable right now is that very fact: we can no longer do our jobs in a manner that affords the very best to our owners because our new management no longer runs a ship that allows it.

Management is trying to claim owners are mad the union contacted them regarding these issues but I applaud the union's efforts. The fact is I fly for you and your friends NJAOwner - you are my real boss - and it's only fitting you should be made aware of just exactly how screwed up this situation has been and how much worse it is getting.

If I were an owner, I would be paying careful attention to the upcoming contract arbitration and tell the company to quit wasting your money, resources and pilots and settle it now. Do not be okay with waiting 4 months. Demand they settle now. There is no reason in the world your friends should not be able to insist on a NJA matching contract in order to stay. A settled contract that keeps pilots (your only real ally in this fractional world) happy will be the best thing in the long run for your investment. If for whatever reason the company fails to listen to owners, then as an owner I might just look into getting your concerns addressed in front of the arbitrator. Let him know whether or not you really want your family flying with a low paid newbie hack on his 13th hour of duty. Because trust me if Kenn Ricci has his way or this arbitrator fails to deliver something decent, that's what will end up happening because every good pilot left will just be forced to go elsewhere.

For those Flex Jet Pilots who visit this site and doubt what Managment would really like to do to Flexjet Pilot Pay and benefits here is a Baron's article that quotes MS. Without a Union read it and weep because this is what you will be getting.
http://www.barrons.com/articles/flexjet-takes-on-netjets-1466222365

There it is again for the yammer crowd: Flexjet management is trying to bring Flight Options low cost labor structure to Flexjet. What do you think that means? Raises for everyone?

It is a flat out lie Red Label crews give better service.

Another halftruth is contained in this quote from the article:

"Can Directional really run Flexjet as a luxury brand? So far, so good, with 20% of Flexjet?s customers already signed up for the higher-priced Red Label program. That?s an impressive result, considering it?s not yet a year old."

What they are not saying is that Red Label is the only thing they are selling and they are essentially giving it away. I have yet to meet a "Red Label" owner who has any idea what I'm talking about much less would agree to pay more for service they were already getting. The 20% represents the same number of owners who re-signed this year. The program is not a an impressive success. The program is a marketing scam and union busting tool. Kenn loves ideas that allow him to hit a few birds with one stone.

I agree with you whole heartedly. I am hearing a lot of our 18/19 year guys with this company are getting fed up with the low pay and moral due to an extremely hostile management team that makes working here very stressful. They are now planning on moving on to the airlines where they will make more in their second year then they make now after being here 18/19 years. I am very concerned of the kind of quality of pilot we will be getting to fill their places if all the majors are hiring and the commuters are offering 33K signing bonuses and a quick path to the majors.

I agree with you whole heartedly. I am hearing a lot of our 18/19 year guys with this company are getting fed up with the low pay and moral due to an extremely hostile management team that makes working here very stressful. They are now planning on moving on to the airlines where they will make more in their second year then they make now after being here 18/19 years. I am very concerned of the kind of quality of pilot we will be getting to fill their places if all the majors are hiring and the commuters are offering 33K signing bonuses and a quick path to the majors.

Frac Cap, Kenn Ricci is on record at some of these fancy speaking events he seems to always be jetting off to stating he does not really believe in a pilot shortage despite all evidence to the contrary.

He believes years of unionization in the aviation sector has led to pilots being underutilized. He believes if the industry adopted long work weeks (8/7), mandatory 12 hour days, dedicated crew pairs and some of his other crazy ideas, there would be no pilot shortage.

I disagree. On the contrary it would make the pilot shortage a lot worse because there'd be a whole lot of dead pilots out there if those were the new industry standards. Even the FARs are outdated and don't address the current environment adequately. The FARs are not meant to be an FOM.

Last edited:
Most existing owners have no idea what "Red Label" is. It seem appealing to new owners. You are correct -- old Flex was a great operation. I only had a few cards with them for supplemental lift -- but my friends with them were happy.

Those of you who have seen me on the board for years know that for a few years I took most of my hours from NJA to FO. FO started well. And then every single peak day I was moved 3 hours in the the least preferred direction for me. Once I was moved 18 hours (obviously they did not want to charter -- and I am not a big fan of sell-off charter) and once 12 hours (it was a new excuse every 3 hours) -- and no compensation, credit, upgrade or anything which made it a little easier to swallow. My old-time Flex friends say this is still continuing - one of the reasons to have a share is to travel peak days when you want. And in well close to 20 years with NJA I think I was moved once on a Peak Day -- and not a full three hours. Flex has 3 real advantages --- (1) some people don't like or had an issue with NJA so they want to be elsewhere, (2) Flex does not (or at least as of year ago) charge a premium for a 50 hours share - so if all you had was 50 hours it is a good bit less expensive than NJA, and (3) Because of repeated labor issues for all quite a few owners of many, many hours no longer have 100% of their hours with NJA; they do 200 hours with NJA and 50 with Flex for diversification (I do not know of any the other way around).

NJAOwner thanks for the info and response.

Full disclaimer, there's probrably a reason your in the bsck and I'm up front but still for the life of me I can't figure out why owners don't realize the bargaining power you have by simply demanding contract revisions that address your issues. They need your business. You have many options and they can't afford the hit if you choose to exvercise those options.

Labor issues are here to stay no matter what company you go with. However, as an owner you are the one in control of how much those labor issues effect the company you are with by encouraging your friends to be vocal in settling these contract negotiations and insisting on a common sense approach to labor demands.

Labor wants what you should want: high crew ratios, smart not brutal schedules, freedom from retaliation regarding decisions on rest /maintanence and a wage that is commensurate with the skill level/responsibility considering the clientele we are ferrying. You want these company's to be career destinations and competative. i guarantee you in the end that is what will provide you with the solutIons to the issues you expressed.

And do not believe they need to charge you more for it. If this red label farce has taught this sector of the industry anything it's that management can pay their pilots double and still make a profit. Don't forget that!

Most owners have no idea of these operational details nor do they really want to get involved. They want ease and convenience. Also, what you raise are not issues which can be dealt with by a contract by contract basis. So unless all owners "band together" it won't happen.

Most owners have no idea of these operational details nor do they really want to get involved. They want ease and convenience. Also, what you raise are not issues which can be dealt with by a contract by contract basis. So unless all owners "band together" it won't happen.

I think you undervalue the effect owners have on the industry. What makes you think owners aren't already getting individual ammendments to their contracts? Sales will tell you it's not possible until you are willing to walk. I can tell you right now we have owners labeled "high risk" for walking and the company bends over backwards to accommodate these issues.

I get owners don't understand (and don't want to understand) the operational details but I assure you every single complaint I hear from owners could be quickly solved by becoming a little less naive. The easiest way to do that is throw your support behind the same group of people who want what you want, your pilots. This is what you should tell your friends.

It's your money. Why don't you and your friends start demanding to actually get what you paid to get? Trust me NJAOwner, the only people in this industry who really care about how you're treated are your crew; they have to face you everyday and I can't begin to tell you the mountain of crap they wade through everyday to have your back. Everyone else, including management, gets to hide for at least a little while.

If you care about getting served well, it's really as simple as supporting the group who wants to serve you and wants what you want. Tell your friends it's as simple as that.

Latest resources

Back