Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gutshotdraw said:
Whoa there Galaxy,

You are correct that the fractional business model is completely different from the airlines. However, fractional owners are in the programs because of liability concerns, predictability of expense, corporate public image, and most of all: CONVENIENCE. Any objective analysis proves beyond any doubt that block charter for fewer than 150 flight hours a year and whole aircraft ownership beyond that is CHEAPER than a fractional share. Most everyone who shills for a fractional fails to include the difference between original purchase price and the end-of-contract buy back price in the total cost of the five year contract.

A good flight department manager, with the help of the owner's attorney and accountant will generate a lower cost per flight hour after five years and they still own the airplane five years later.

Fractional ownership is still a viable business model but because of reasons other than money. While the cost sensitivity of a typical fractional owner is pretty low, that doesn't mean there is an endless amount of money a frax owner is willing to pay.

Gutshot,

Have to disagree slightly. I have a friend who is part owner of a MLB baseball team. He looked at the four major frac companies. After careful consideration and on the advise of his attorney and accountant, he chose to purchase his own Citation X. It may be diffierent for each individual, but, it was cheaper for him to go fractional if he flew 400 hours or less. Well, he averages over 800 a year and decided on buying his own.

End of the year is getting closer, and still no word from Flex about what is going to happen. Everybody needs to get the KY Jelly out and ready.

twincessna said:
End of the year is getting closer, and still no word from Flex about what is going to happen. Everybody needs to get the KY Jelly out and ready.

KY Jelly? Are they lowering the salaries? Maybe the KY should be handed out to the NJA new hires who are forced to live in LA when they might be from North Carolina. $45K a year for 5 years + in So Cal won't go very far.
I was watching footage of the transit strike in NYC and the lone remaining road block is over the new hires having to pay for a percentage of their pension which current workers never had to do. The comment from a union rep was "What about the word "union" don't they understand? What the senior person gets is what the new guy will get. Otherwise you'll have a fractured union with the haves and have nots which is in many cases worse than fewer benefits, but equal benefits."

miles otoole said:
Otherwise you'll have a fractured union with the haves and have nots which is in many cases worse than fewer benefits, but equal benefits."

Reminds me of my favorite quote from the book "Animal Farm":

"All animals are equal, some animals are more equal than others"

Just got back from Dallas and apparently Flex is still hring even during the hoiliday season, unlike last year, and from what I hear the powers that be are taking whatever they can get their hands on

Cpt Splash said:
Just got back from Dallas and apparently Flex is still hring even during the hoiliday season, unlike last year, and from what I hear the powers that be are taking whatever they can get their hands on

With the economy humming along, it looks as though all the fractional companies will take whatever they can get their hands on. I doubt many are turned away from any of the big four.

It remains to be seen if NJA will be able to attract the pilots they want with the new restrictions. There are some serious doubts about their ability to do so, but no doubt that 1108 will be ready to talk if the company should decide to rethink their new policy. Sometimes, it's best just to "wait and see".

Latest resources

Back