• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FlexJet offering voluntary seperations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really? You post this on Christmas Day? What's wrong with you?

Actually you come across as trite, self centered and myopic to me. You are, because of the absence of a thought in your head for anyone but yourself, ass deep in bed with management. And they are playing you.

The world doesn't stop on Christmas my friend. So what, on December 26th, it's game on again?

Furloughed guys don't get their jobs back on Christmas. Fo's don't make more money or have better lives on Christmas.

And before you really do pin me as a self centered sadistic bastard I am actually a PIC. So what should I care, I upgraded, I am making Captain cash.

I feel for the guys below me. The ones who can't be fortunate like me. They are not paid enough and should be provided a better quality of life. I spent a good part of a decade in the right seat, and finally made it to the left. Suggestions I gave for NJ's next union contract is for PIC pay to remain the same and FO pay go up substantially. My sacrifice to them (am I self centered??).

Many behind me wont upgrade for 7+ more years, and why? Because growth is stalled and the only way to move up is through attrition. The only attrition we have is death. Follow the dots.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I am hopeful that we will actually begin to see a smattering of retirements in 2013. Several in my fleet are threatening to.

One of the reasons you haven't seen many retirements at NJ in the past three years is because if they retired before now, it means they have been working for 1/3 of their salary for the past couple of years. It means they were wrong to have refused the early out program. That program has now run its course so anybody considering it can financially justify the decision to themselves.

"Look how much more money I made and put away in my 401k. I was right to stick around for the extra three years but I can retire now...."

This is the interior monologue that will get louder in the heads of quite a few of our "elder statesmen" over the next few years, especially if Section 6 starts to get REALLY ugly.

And, as an aside, since the early out is over, the company is no longer cutting checks to a couple hundred folks banking 2/3's of their salary which means more money in the pot next year....:D

At least you're not at NJ where we have a few hundred in the 60+ range. And hundreds more in the pipe (50+ years old).

It is a bygone conclusion that most of these guys are on a "fly til you die" plan. Everyone at NJ in 2009 was offered a buyout and it was pretty generous with many being able to get $250k+ plus full health benefits for several years, but there was very few takers. Since the "retired" guys didn't leave as planned, many (500) young guys with mortgages, college tuition and young families to support go sacked.

If Flex is going to furlough after this offer, the same thing will happen. The old will stay and the young will lose their jobs. Of course the older guys will tell you it is their right and seniority to stay and that next time you should earn your keep.

In 2011 I moved up 5 spots because of death. This year only one guy kicked the bucket. We will see how much I get to move up in 2013.

If I sound cruel and sadistic and sound like I am waiting/hoping for people to die, it's only because they forced this thought upon me. Maybe if guys would do an honorable thing and retire, just as those have done before them, I would not think this way.

Who's guys didn't make good financial decisions before the buyout, why would they start when offered a buyout.

Since some of started our family later in life, some of us old folks need to work to pay for our familys' medical coverage.

Pax showing up soon, so, I need to put my walker away, and....what's that noise...darn...I left the engines running again.

a lot of the old farts are collecting an airline/military or BOTH pension. i know of at least 30 guys that fly at nj "just to stay busy". I hope they sleep well at night while younger people with responsibilities are unemployed.

These dying dinosaurs sleep very well at night, I promise you. Young guys getting furloughed "is not my problem".

One thing I know from talking to these guys is that THEY DON'T GIVE A $*** WHAT YOU THINK. They're going to stick around and that's that

I predict there will be huge attrition from the FO side if airlines start hiring withion the next 1-3 years...

Many FO's are on 7 or 8 year pay (and soon to be 9-10 year pay)... And unless your on the 18 day, the money really isn't that good. Right around RJ captain pay.. 18 day pay is roughly $95.. hardly worth being gone 18 days a month with little ability to adjust your schedule...

Junior FO's are hitting 7 year pay with absolutely zero chance of upgrade before 2020... thats a heck of a long time to not hit six figures...And even worse.. A ridiculuous amount of time to sit right seat in a corporate jet.

Depending on which airline you can get on with, FO pay is very very close to NJ Captain pay within 5 years... With less days worked, scheduling flexibility, and airplanes you don't have to be a contortionist to get into.

Netjets(fractionals) is/are a huge ponzi scheme for airplanes... Get out if you're able...

Last edited:
Just flew with an FO who is pushing 70. Has trouble following SOPs, is horrible on the radio, and does not fly well at all. He stated he will not be taking the buyout. Instead we get to continue to fly with him and monitor his every movement in the cockpit, like you would with a student pilot, in order to protect our own carreers. It pisses me off flying with guys like this while we have excellent pilots who do a great job for the customer and the company out on the street.

Last edited:
Just flew with an FO who is pushing 70. Has trouble following SOPs, is horrible on the radio, and does not fly well at all. He stated he will not be taking the buyout. Instead we get to continue to fly with him and monitor his every movement in the cockpit, like you would with a student pilot, in order to protect our own carreers. It pisses me off flying with guys like this while we have excellent pilots who do a great job for the customer and the company out on the street.

Funny, I flew with a CAPTAIN like that the other day....

Latest resources

Back