Flexjet Interview..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FraxJockey said:
I have personal experience on this subject, and it irks me to no end when people start talking about the furloughs. I was laid off (not furloughed) a couple of weeks after 9-11. I was ALLOWED to FINISH my type training. and then given several weeks of severance pay (I hadn't even been there for 4 weeks). Yeah it sucked, but in light of what was happenenig after 9-11, I don't really blame them. I was rehired 4 months later and was on the line in three weeks. What happened the second time (the time that 39 guys were laid off) was mandated by Bombardier (not Flexjet) and was a company wide requirement. ALL divisions of Bombardier had to down size. Since then, we have been operating so efficiently that we flew more hours with less planes and pilots (hired about 150 since then). Management has since been very conservative and has found ways to avoid this EVER happening. That's not all the story, but unless you know all the facts don't pass judgement.

Frax

Interesting. Thanks. Your spin "Ihaveflown"?

I have a friend that flies for Flexjet and she says that when you are on duty, that you fly just as hard as any other fractional. She has problems with some of the management tactics. She says that they now fly at .76 instead of the normal cruise speed and management has failed to notify the owners. The company says they are doing it to save money, which makes sense, but if it makes sense why not tell the owners and not leave it up to the pilots? She says the company has not told any of the owners and it seems a little "under handed to her".

The other problem she has is the 135 rest requirements. Although the company says the will take the most conserative approach to the rest requirements, the dispatchers still do not understand that you can not be responsible to answer your phone and in rest at the same time. Sounds to me like a pretty good company, but it needs to adapt to some of the new regulations that it has restricted itself to.

I stand amazed!!

I am amazed at the differences that folks ALWAYS seem to experience at the same company. I do not know who your "friend" is, but I disagree with ALL that she has told you. (at least the statements that you posted previously.) We have spoken directly to the passengers about the savings to THEM for the speed reduction. If they want us to go faster, we do it. It's their aircraft. Their money. Personally, I could care less how fast we fly. I try to push it to the pole every chance I get. Sometimes we go slower than usual, it all depends.
As far as the 135 regulations go, they (dispatch) do need to be reminded about some of the changes. But it has been my experince that they are as fair as they can be. Hey, this is a "go when you want to business," right?

miles otoole said:
Interesting. Thanks. Your spin "Ihaveflown"?

I have been employed by FlexJet since 1998. Yes, I am still there. For those 39 (original 42 who were hired, 3 that left) who were layed off, you were just fired to curb the invitation of an union. We needed more pilots. With the threat of a union coming on property management decided to hire you. You were a Patsy. Sorry to inform you. Welcome to corporate America. Yes you were hired back. Only after management decided that they needed to slim down the numbers some more. During a five week span as many as 12 pilots were fired each week. Most were fired without any review for the reason for firing. Example: some owners figured out that if they complain they will get free time. See where this is going? These are facts. There is no need to make this up. Quite a few of my friends had their careers and families destroyed because Flex did not stand up for them. One first officer was fired because it was said that he had thrown his crew meal across the lobby of an FBO. This first officer had proof that he had not ever been to that airport. It does not matter when a company is trying to cut costs.

We as pilots in the "good ole days" kept telling the management to be carefull of the spending. This may come back to haunt us some day. It did. My friends had to pay for it. You had to pay for it for a short time. Now that the economy is getting back on its feet you and your class were invited to come back. Happy? You were just hired to make the union threat go away. No, I did not vote for a union.

I am glad you have a job with us. We have fun when we work. Those of us who have been here a while are all looking over our shoulders. We are all looking for something more secure. None of us trust our chief pilot and most of our fleet supervisors. Things are good again. But, for how long. This sting to those who had to pay won't soon be forgotten.

Ihaveflown said:
One first officer was fired because it was said that he had thrown his crew meal across the lobby of an FBO. This first officer had proof that he had not ever been to that airport.

I know this pilot well, and I have no dog in this fightm but this statement is as false as false can get. This pilot WAS at that airport and FBO at the time and date in question. His version was that he didn't throw the food across the lobby, but did complain (maybe a bit too vociferously) about it.

This guy had previous problems at the company, by his own admission, ranging from complaints from owners and a sexual harassment issue resulting from an incident on a hotel van.

He was never going to upgrade, based on his standing at the company, and the FBO incident was just the final straw that led to his dismissal.

Whatever else transpired at Flexjet, the firing of this particular pilot was not just the company randomly letting pilots go.

He got out of the industry for a while, had a couple of false starts trying to get back into it, and finally found a contract pilot position overseas.

any word on how to get the call to interview?
I have sent my stuff in twice and they emailed back saying they would call but not when . . .

Latest resources

Back