Flexjet Hiring ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Climbthrust

I have my papers in at Flex for while now and have not heard a whisper from them. Does anyone have current info on upcoming classes or if they are even interviewing?

Flex hiring

I'm just getting through training now, waiting to do the bounces on Saturday and there's another small class right behind me. From what I understand, they are continuing to interview, however, for classes starting early next year so If you're interested, keep sending resumes every week or so... try both e-mail and fax. Good Luck.

Bigflyr,

What type of aircraft are newhires being trained on - L45, L60...? How are newhires selected for each type - is there a bidding system based on SS# or just availability? What are you training on - and how do you like it (I guess just the sim for now) thusfar vs. what you flew previously and why?

Thanks

I'm not sure what it takes to get hired here other than you have a three part interview which consists of a short written test, a simulator evaluation which will most likely be in the Lear 45 and a personal interview. You can get the gouge on aviationinterviews.com.

As for what they are hiring for... all I can say is it could be in any of their aircraft but most likely will be for one of the Learjets. I don't think your past experience will have anything to do with what they put you in unless you already have a specific Lear type rating. Everyone in the class had some sort of type rating and around 5000 hours + flight time with maybe one exception and there wasn't any pattern as to what aircraft they were put in, with the exception of one guy who already had a Lear 60 type so they kept him in it.

The Lear 45 has been the most popular lately and they have two identical simulators... brand new Level D. (They're all Level D)

I was originally awarded "my choice" of the Learjets and took the 60 but when I got here they decided to cut back on 60 slots, so I got "stuck" with the Lear 31, which is, if you saw me (6'4") a very tight squeeze but "doable". Got the type, just waiting to do the bounces. My overall impression so far is that the ground school is very quick to digest all the material in one week followed by a straight week of sim sessions to your check-ride but again... it's "doable". As for the quality of instruction... It seems to vary between aircraft types. Most of the guys I spoke to in the 60 and 45 said it was not as structured as it should be. As for the 31, I think the training was very thorough with the exception of the FMS training, which they could have covered better in systems class. It would be very beneficial if you have experience with Universal FMSs. Of the 13 in our class two washed-out. I can say that it was the toughest checkride I've ever had, that's for sure.

Bottom line as far as my thoughts about the job... it's a flying job with new airplanes, a schedule, based out of my home town and no out of pocket expenses to get started. There aren't too many jobs out there like that!;)

BigFlyr

I noticed that you have the 737 type, did they question you about that in the interview...about leaving and going to SWA? I have heard that they are very skeptical of the type. I'm not trying to say that you would or are even interested - just wondering. I have a few friends that are looking at applying (they also have the type) - and would want to know before interviewing. Also, do they still have a training contract?

Thanks.

They didn't ask me about the 737 type since I got it at another airline and like I mentioned before, everyone in the class had some kind of type rating, so I think it's almost a "competative requirement". By the way, there was another guy in the class who also has a 737 type and is a SWA "poolie". Being that the pool is about 4 years deep, they don't seem to care!

If you mean a training contract, the answer is yes. Two years worth around $20K and prorated if you leave early. I believe there is a one year "seat lock" but if they need you in another aircraft before that, you'll be back in school for another type. No additional contracts for additional types. If you mean "labor contract", not really because we're not union but we have an "FOM" (Flight Operations Manual) which spells everything out in black and white from ops specs to general work and duty regs. set forth and "accepted" by the FAA.

Yeah, it was the training contract that I was asking about. I have a couple of friends who are captains there and they had conflicting answers to that question. It seems as though Flex did - then didn't - then did have one (I guess). Anyway, thanks for the info. Adios.

Just had to paste all my previous posts. I still think there are better options

Stay away from FlexJet. They will accept you with open arms, but the moment they get a PRIA request you are treated like a different person. The pilots are all pretty good people. like anywhere else. In hindsight, I would only accept at FlexJet if there was no alternative.
Haven't seen anything on this board about Flex in a long time. I guess it's an indication of how little hiring they are doing and how little they are growing.mail

Good move turning down the interview, you would not be happy and would soon be looking for a better job.
The voice of experience.

Great aircraft, great pilots, but after that. forget about the schedule, the pay and the job. The place is a sewer trap. No upgrades, no crew bases, lousy hotels and all the turkey sandwiches you can eat. Remember, the management controls your food, hotel and schedule. With no union, they exercise control!
I worked at Flex and drank the koolaid for two years untill a good friend got me some help. Now at NetJets flying the CE-750 (X) and lovin' life. Recently upgraded for pay purposes to captain.
To answer your original question. No control over your schedule. You never know what you are going to get until 10 days prior to schedule release. Who can live like that? The only way I would take that job is to get experience and move on. Not a career job!

Everyone applying and accepting a position with Flex, I wish you luck. I understand these are hard times and we all have to feed our families.
I worked for Flex for two years. Flew the LR 60. Great plane, lots of good captains. Those are the two good things I have to say.
The top three reasons I quit and went elsewhere.

1. Quality of life. They will work you like a dog. Early departures on your first day out and late return on your last duty day. Bad hotel rooms, whatever the CLC card determines is the cheapest.

2. Pay. Little chance of making more money through OT or chance for advancement to CPT. $33 K annual is terrible pay for what you do.

3. Schedule. The scheduling system they use is pretty whacky. Computer based, you plug in your desires, the company plugs in their needs and the computer spits out your schedule. The kicker is, you find out your schedule less than a month before hand. I think it was on the 20th of the month before when I worked there.

Want to go to a family reunion, cousin Joe's wedding, plan a family outing? Good luck.

There is no union and no redress to unfair, or unequal treatment.

I respect you if you take the job, but you'll see for yourself, no place for a career!

Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back