Flex or Air Tran?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BAT31

If presented with a job offer at both, would it be Flexjet or Air Tran? Apples to oranges, sure, but compare anyway.

Any opinoins? (Air Tran would mean a commute)

Thanks

Airtran... easy commute, better long run money, predictable schedule, same airports and lines, hard rest, Part 121 time with a relatively quick upgrade, ATL based and ground stopped.

Flex... difficult commute, good pay but not as good as citrus, unpreditcable schedule, diverse airports and trips, floating rest, Part 91k & 135 using 135 work rules, quick upgrade plus crew meals, free FBO popcorn, and Blackberry.

Tough choice but I'd go to law school if I were you.

Last edited:
We all have our own opinions. If you live in ATL, pick Air Tran. Otherwise, I would pick Flexjet for a number of reasons.

First, having flown 121, I remember how dang bored I got very quickly with the flying. Once you fly the entire Air Tran route system a few times (at least within your fleet) and you realize that you will be flying to these same cities (plus a few extra here and there) for the rest of your career, that will get old quickly. Fractional flying is ad hoc (some people require more structure - this would not be structured) and it can be very interesting with changing destinations on a daily basis. Aspen, Jackson Hole, Scottsdale, Boca Raton, Naples, Nassau, and Napa will become very familiar destinations. Keep in mind that not-so-nice destinations like TeterHOLE will also be thrown in the mix but you will hit some very nice places that you might never hit in the airline world.

Pay at Flexjet will get better. The pay at Flexjet will need to get better to compete with Netjet's upcoming package. What you see now will have to improve - it's market economics. Flex's schedule/QOL will also have to improve in order to attract quality pilots - I would expect some changes (probably not big changes initially) on that front as well. Flex just opened a Denver domicile and I would expect a few more in the future - at least you get some flexibility...

Air Tran has also proven that dirty tricks are norm - check out what happened to Lear 70 on the Majors board. Dirty negotiating tactics are one indicator that should not be ignored. Is Flexjet's management "perfect"? Probably not. However, I am taken aback by what happened recently over at Air Tran as they were hammering out a deal. Gives me a negative vibe.

At the end of the day, I'd rather fly interesting (celebrities, sport stars, etc.) people around in a nice, high-performance Challenger 300 to resort destinations and get paid reasonably well for it vs. Moline, BWI and Gulfport.

Don't get me wrong, Air Tran is fairly solid too (I have two friends who fly for Air Tran and they both enjoy it - one on the 717 and the other on the 73G), but having flown 121 and corporate, I personally far prefer the non-121 flying. That's just me - you might be different. Keep in mind, Flexjet pilots should benefit from Netjet's situation - the current situation should improve.

That's my 0.02. Good luck and let us know which path you choose...

Keep in mind, Flexjet pilots should benefit from Netjet's situation - the current situation should improve.

Should being the qualifier there... no solid commitment or indication that something will change. Remember that a few years ago FLOPS was a decent place to work. I however remain hopeful.

Should being the qualifier there... no solid commitment or indication that something will change. Remember that a few years ago FLOPS was a decent place to work. I however remain hopeful.

That's true. However, if Netjets' TA gets passed, there could very well be an exodus from the other fractionals to NJA. It's possible. Therefore, Flexjet and the others (excluding Flight Options which is clueless) will need to offer a counter - if not, attrition will increase. I agree that Flexjet's comp/QOL will have to improve to stave off attrition. Flexjet cannot afford to lose many well-trained and experienced (i.e., in customer service) pilots as it continues to grow its own fleet. Flexjet and the others will feel the heat and be compelled to do what it takes to retain their pilots. The owners expect "experienced" pilots.

Meanwhile, Air Tran will forever compete with the other LCCs for cheap travelers. As SWA, JB, Spirit, Virgin America and Skybus (if it survives) add more and more aircraft like Air Tran, there will be more pressure to fill seats and overlapping markets will be money-losers for some (especially if fuel prices continue to increase). I would avoid LCCs other than SWA.

Last edited:
Airtran... easy commute, better long run money, predictable schedule, same airports and lines, hard rest, Part 121 time with a relatively quick upgrade, ATL based and ground stopped.

Flex... difficult commute, good pay but not as good as citrus, unpreditcable schedule, diverse airports and trips, floating rest, Part 91k & 135 using 135 work rules, quick upgrade plus crew meals, free FBO popcorn, and Blackberry.

Tough choice but I'd go to law school if I were you.
Money is better at Flex and no commute under new TA.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back