Flat pitch or feather???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jaywc7 said:
Ok. I understand. You are refering to feathering in flight for simulated engine failures and such. I see i see...

Yep. Since the props on most 340's rarely get actually feathered, it might be a good idea to fully feather the things just to make sure it'll do it when you truly need it.

bigD said:
I think what Lead Slead is saying is that since the 340 isn't typically used as a trainer, the props are rarely fully feathered - unlike a plane such as a Seminole where the props are feathered for practice quite often.
Yup, that what I was talking about. In training twins, you're always feathering the props in-flight - it part of the training program. In the "real world" you seldom feather the props on piston-twins like C-340s, Navajos, C-414s, C-421s, etc. because their engines seldom fail. However, like I said, the single-engine performance of ANY piston-powered, light twin is ABYSMAL and the failure for a propellor to feather would most likely leave the pilot and his passengers in a very serious situation. Remember, piston-twins have two engines because they need two engines and only under certain carefully controlled conditions can the maintain controlled flight on one engine.

'Sled

JAYWC7--------It appears that you are working on your multi engine rating. I would seriously suggest adding one additional item to your checklist. Put it at the bottom and read it out loud just before standing the throttles up. For some reason the manufacturers never included this very important item, and it is this. As you line up and look down that long lonesome runway just say "Dear God, let both of these mothers run for the next two minutes."

Latest resources

Back