• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flaps Up?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One might consider consulting the POH for the particular airplane. There are some turboprops where retracting the flaps and gear upon losing an engine is a sure fired way to get killed. If there is not a recommended engine out procedure in the POH, then the drag demo will answer your question. Just make sure you fly the plane at VYse while doing the demo.

I'd leave them down until a safe altitude is reached (500-1000 agl). The gear creates more drag than does 10 degrees of flaps, so your primary drag clean up is the gear.

Bring power to full, pitch up, flaps to the take off position (if extended more than the take off position) gear up, climb at Vy, flaps up when at a safe altitude.

uwochris said:
I'd leave them down until a safe altitude is reached (500-1000 agl). The gear creates more drag than does 10 degrees of flaps, so your primary drag clean up is the gear.

Just be careful on which plane you fly. I remember on the MU-2 Marquette you leave the gear down till 1000ft AGL I beleive because of the gear cylcle time and the amount of drag it creates during the cycle is incredible. Also on that aircraft during an engine failure, you trim for wings level for an engine failure. The old saying raise the dead engine will kill you in a MU-2. So I guess what I am saying is consult you POH for guidlines on engine out proceedures.

In the Mu2 you definitely leave the flaps down until a safe altitude and airspeed are reached. If you suck 'em up right after TO with an engine failure and you are going to slow you will end up at that bottom of a smoking hole. Two schools of thought on the gear, leave them down until 1000 or Positive rate gear up. Also some difference between the long and short bodies. Anyway, the point is that it depends on what you are flying. If you fly the airplane the way it was designed to be flown instead of using generic techniques you will be a lot safer.
EB

In a seminole we were taught to always bring up flaps first and then the gear always. Flaps greatly increase VMC, therefore it would be dangerous to leave them in.

"flaps increase vmc"

That is incorrect, flaps provide a stabilizing effect and actually lower VMC just like the gear being down does. The reason for flap retraction first is because they have the most drag, actually more than the gear. Next time your up do drag demo and you'll see that the flaps have far more drag, thats the reason for that procedure.

I think in a training environment, it's best to go by what the book says while being aware of real world applicability. While the books tell us to bring flaps and gear up, a particular set of circumstances, atmospheric conditions, etc., may require a different approach. I think that's what makes a good pilot...having the book knowledge and being able to augment that with real-world experience. Like the other guys are saying, you'll find out what works best by doing the Vyse demo.

-j

"Mixtures forward, props forward, throttles forward, FLAPS UP, gear up . . . "

I would still follow the time-honored multi engine failure chant consistent with the recommended procedure for your airplane.

The typical multi trainers, such as Seminoles, are marginal performers on one engine. You want to eliminate as much drag as possible, not to mention the increased Vmc aspect.

siucavflight I agree with some 'o the guys , depends which a/c you are flying.
In a F406 one of two no-go items is no flaps, you have to set T/O flap 10 degrees.But the autofeather is the second no-go. Itl feather the dead engine's prop while you sweat and swear your way up to 1000' agl. Emergency after V1 would be....continue T/O, fly V2 to 500', pos ROC gear up, climb 1000' and while youre doing that, Identify ,Verify,Confirm,Feather,

In the Citation 1 , it would be:before V1, stop. After V1, continue T/O, fly V2 to 500', Pos ROC, gear up, flap up.(if used)climb 1000'.

C402, on rwy, stop. After T/O, continue, accelerate blue line & Pos ROC, gear up, climb rwy hdg 500', secure engine & climb 1000' for further. But then C402 = no flaps for T/O, so too the C310, C401.

Full flap creates more drag than gear down. 10 degrees flap, hmmmm ... I would leave it down till at least 500' and you can spend a little bit more time securing the a/c properly. Fiddling with the flaps close to the ground, with an engine out, pulse racing, wind unknown, passengers freaking out....sound like a recipe for disaster.

IMHO, in a single, piston or turbine, or light multi, even bigger a/c, depends on situation, if the the emergency in "after T/O with Rwy remaining...." then I'd go : close the pwr, gear down, full flap, land ahead.

aahhh...just read the whole thread, Incl Uncle Avbug's and I have to add something....sorry:eek:

Split flaps create more drag than lift. Methinks there called 'drag flaps' . Cessna twins like the C310, C401, C402 etc use them. They are less complex to manufacture and allows you to have a thinner wing for better high speed performance (Avbug, jump in anytime if I'm talking bulldust).
Fowler flaps like on the F406 or hmmm....PA31, they create more lift than drag, but mechanism might be bulkier and weigh more.
One reason I can think of split flap a/c having a nil-flap T/O setting, and the F406 has 10deg.

If you have an engine failure on a go-around, then yeah, you would go : Go-around power, flaps up (to T/O setting), Pos ROC gear up....

Avbug I PM'ed you ? would appreciate a chat if ye don' mind:D

Last edited:
FL000
That's my boy Davey in your Avatar. Or "David" Pollack as the press like's to say.
Are you going to the USC game?

Go Dawgs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back