fixed wing to rotor transition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sirius100

I'm interested in adding rotor craft to my certificate. My company has a few choppers and I have the chance to get some time in them. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good books on the transition.

Thanks

I recommend the Jeppesen books in their helicopter pilot kit. These books are what most schools use to train with. If you are doing your training in an R-22, Robinson makes a nice flight training guide too, which they will give you for free if you attend their factory training course.

No books specifically address transition from fixed wing to rotor wing. Treat the transition as totally seperate and do will do a lot better. Best analogy I can use is driving a car vs. driving a semi-tractor/trailer. Both use the same rules of the road, both have things like headlights and speedometers, but driving a car and driving a semi are very different.

Two other words of advice, don't call a helicopter a "chopper" and don't ever go to justhelicopters.com

I don't know what happened to JH. It had its moments before but now it seems to have been highjacked by people posting unfunny comments about Silverstate and Robinson helicopters and pictures of silcone stocked bikini models or morbidly obese women. It used to be pretty helpful in learning about a comapny or finding a job but now...yikes!

I recommend the Jeppesen books in their helicopter pilot kit. These books are what most schools use to train with. If you are doing your training in an R-22, Robinson makes a nice flight training guide too, which they will give you for free if you attend their factory training course.

No books specifically address transition from fixed wing to rotor wing. Treat the transition as totally seperate and do will do a lot better. Best analogy I can use is driving a car vs. driving a semi-tractor/trailer. Both use the same rules of the road, both have things like headlights and speedometers, but driving a car and driving a semi are very different.

Two other words of advice, don't call a helicopter a "chopper" and don't ever go to justhelicopters.com
Nobody but this guy cares if you call em choppers or helicopters or whatever. I found fixed wing and rotor to be almost the same in forward flight, except for using your feet. The big differences are you are always CAT A on approaches and you can always use straight in mins because once you break out all you have to do is turn the nose into the wind to land. Things happen more slowly in helicopters too. So you'll have to adjust your ILS intercept turn, things like that. Its not hard at all. Once you've got hovering down(especially in an R-22) you've got it made.

In 15 years of flying helicopters I have never heard another helicopter pilot call a helicopter a "chopper". The closest any helicopter pilot has come in my experience is with news helicopter call signs like "Chopper Five". I think it may be an archaic term for helicopters no longer used by the people that actually fly them. Sort of like the old days when pilots used to call airplanes "ships". When was the last time anyone asked you what kind of "ship" you fly?

The usual response I have heard from other pilots when someone uses the term "chopper" is; "CHOPPER...isn't that some kind of motorcycle?"

A couple of things you will need to look at are Part 61 and the appropriate PTS guide. For an add-on there are several things that you will not be required to do during the check ride. This will speed it up some.

There are several books that cover helicopter flight. All of them have good information. Most important is the flight instructor. Having gone through the add-on process, it was my experience that having an instructor that was dual rated was beneficial. While many things do translate from FW to RW, many do not. And could cause negative transfer issues.

Be aware, that this transition is not only fun it is also addictive.

Thanks for the reading suggestions. Mr. Cobra, ease up their mate, choppers and helis are common terms outside the states. If that's not something your used to and it bothers you so much you keep posting about it, well thats your own personal battle mate.
fly safe

You might try verticalreference.com, too.

Just helicopters has two forums; one is the older site which isn't very professional, and the other is the "newer" forum which is *supposed* to show a little more decorum.

Latest resources

Back