five by five?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jbud said:
five by five, is a term used to let other people know that you are a loser..

see also: tally-ho
Five by five...........three by four..........four by two.....or any other variation of the theme is proper radio etiquette for informing controllers or other pilots of transmission strength and quality.

see also:inexperienced pilot who needs to read his controller/pilot glossary and AIM! ?

Amateur radio (aka: Ham radio) uses something similar, except it has three values. Strength - Clarity - Transmission Quality. Strength is on a 5 scale, and the other two are on a 1-9 scale.

Actually, the third value is tone quality, only used for morse-code work.
There are letters that modify the last digit, to indicate chirp or other keying errors. We leave out the last number when on voice. 9 is a pure sine-wave, 1 is very rough AC.

You also get "plusses", example 5 and 9 plus 30.
That means the signal strength is S9 plus 30 decibels. (There is a gauge on the front of the radio for this. Some of the real old salts can tell just by hearing, but I'm not that old.)

A lot of people are lazy and will just say "5/9" no matter how the copy is because it's too much to read the radio and give a true number.

91 said:
Okay, thanks. I agree with the tally-ho thing. And the accompanying "no-joy".
I think using "no-joy" is better then "we're looking for traffic". It is a lot quicker and gets the point across.

dseagrav said:
Actually, the third value is tone quality, only used for morse-code work.
There are letters that modify the last digit, to indicate chirp or other keying errors. We leave out the last number when on voice. 9 is a pure sine-wave, 1 is very rough AC.
I thought that you could also include the last number on voice transmissions.

Then again, it's been 5+ years since I've picked up a ham radio, so my info is most definitely a bit "stale."

pilotman2105 said:
I thought that you could also include the last number on voice transmissions.

Then again, it's been 5+ years since I've picked up a ham radio, so my info is most definitely a bit "stale."

Tone purity doesn't apply to voice, because that's determined by the recieving radio. Offing the frequency for SSB corrects tone, using the tone knob works for everything else.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back