• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fist year pay at a Frac

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FCNelson, thanks for the encouraging words and support. TC, it is no secret that I feel strongly about a situation that affects my family's quality of life. Nor am I alone in my belief that the family perspective needs to be voiced. Yes I have a life, but right now the NJ contract battle is a big part of it for my family, as well as others.

Not unless he has to. He enjoys the job more than he did flying for AA--a career move that was cut short by 9-11. But he won't stay if he is not paid what he is worth. The lifestyle pilots are "forced" to lead is hard enough without being underpaid. When the wages don't justify the sacrifices made, those with other options move on. You hear it a lot....I could work ________(you fill in the blank) and be home every night. I don't think we're the only family that will base our decision on the outcome of the contract battle. My husband is very involved in the fight, and we are well aware that he is fighting for all of the families (and pilots), not just our own.

netjetwife said:
I don't mind telling you that my husband made about 28K his first year--an outrage!

Is this different than what the pay scale in the contract stated when he accepted the position? According to web-based sites, 1st year pay for a FO is $2260/mo. which equates to around $27,000+/year without any overtime.

No, it must have included a small amount of overtime. His personal rule was to do only 2 extended days a month (for extra money) which would equal the number of days the flex guys were doing. Something to keep in mind, just because a pilot volunteers for extended days, doesn't mean they always get them. You CANNOT base your pay expectations on that. Figure ONLY on making the 27K when you look at the wages, and realize that the upgrade wait can be very long. What you've seen here about that is true. Take a VERY good look before you leap! Better yet, if you can, wait until the new contract is in place so that you know EXACTLY what you're signing on for.
Best wishes,
Netjetwife

First of all, I'm not leaping, so there is no need to look too deeply. Secondly, I'm just trying to figure out how there can be so much outrage over a salary that was known before the job was accepted. Very simple.

XTW said:
Is this different than what the pay scale in the contract stated when he accepted the position? According to web-based sites, 1st year pay for a FO is $2260/mo. which equates to around $27,000+/year without any overtime.

Yes. Someone will remember the exact figures but around 40K was what was passed as what one could make year one. I believe this may have even been published somehow in print. Recruiting brochures were created advertising pilots with 3 yrs averaging in excess of $60K. I still have some. In reality 3rd yr pay is $47k for captains.

I have been told at least one pilot who left without fullfilling his 2 yr training contract produced the $40K promise when they went after him for the money. He then produced his first yr W-2. He was not pursued further.

Last edited:
XTW said:
First of all, I'm not leaping, so there is no need to look too deeply. Secondly, I'm just trying to figure out how there can be so much outrage over a salary that was known before the job was accepted. Very simple.

XTW -

When I was interviewed and hired, I was told by company representatives that within 2-3 months everyone in my interview group would start receiving Captain's bypass pay because NetJets was hiring guys directly into the left seat of the Ultra. I was able to take a short lead time and report for indoc within 10 days of being offered the job. Unfortunately for a lot of folks, my indoc class was the last full class to receive that bypass pay. About half of the guys that I interviewed with failed to get bypass pay. (The pilots of NetJets put together a huge effort to right that particular wrong and last fall every pilot that had originally been promised bypass pay was awarded it through our combined efforts.)

It's one thing to look at a pay scale and see $27K. it's quite another to have NetJets company personnel stand up in front of 40 pilots being interviewed and tell them that within 2-3 months, they'll be bumped up to Captain's pay at $37K with the chance to earn $7-10K more than that based on working a couple of extra days per month. We were also told both by the Captains doing interviews and the other company personnel at the interview that the contract was nearly complete and that we could expect a fairly large raise probably by December with March being the very latest. That was in September of 2002.

I think most of us post 9/11 thought a job flying new equipment and starting at $40-45K the first year with a substantial raise shortly afterwards was not the worst thing to sign up for. Were some of us naive? Certainly. That's why I spend a fair chunk of time here making sure that guys coming to NetJets today truly understand what they are getting themselves into.

Latest resources

Back