• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First Officer Programs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, I'm struggling with the same decision as lightheart. Same age issue ,ect...I appreciate the last few post. Coolheaded facts. Thanks!
Honestly I feel I've looked into it enough to know 1) MOST FO schools are not good, 2) Very few are: Flight Safety, ERAU, Mesa in Arizona ??others?? 3) You still have to "earn" a job-its not a given 4) you still have a total time deficit, even if your twin time is 300 BUT you will problably be more committed, because you paid so much for it--cognative disidence, I would say at THESE schools, perhaps only, your training would be seen as a BENEFIT to a future employer, ....and... it is a little whorish.

Last edited:
My local FBO is another route. A LOT cheaper, a little to a lot longer, and certianly more varied route. One drawback I think of is not getting uniform instruction. I hear you could have as many as 6-8 different instructors by the time your ratings are done. They could leave without notice having you to start over with a new instructor, perhaps right before a checkride.

NEVERTHELESS I am leaning toward this path. Going the traditional way, what scares me is a lot of non "pft" people seems to be negitive on aviation in general. Perhaps its frustrating waiting, and waiting for the hours to get up into the hireable amount. Not to mention getting mult time--guess you have to instruct multi up to 200? how else if you go the CFI route?

sorenk said:
My local FBO is another route. A LOT cheaper, a little to a lot longer, and certianly more varied route. One drawback I think of is not getting uniform instruction. I hear you could have as many as 6-8 different instructors by the time your ratings are done. They could leave without notice having you to start over with a new instructor, perhaps right before a checkride.

NEVERTHELESS I am leaning toward this path. Going the traditional way, what scares me is a lot of non "pft" people seems to be negitive on aviation in general. Perhaps its frustrating waiting, and waiting for the hours to get up into the hireable amount. Not to mention getting mult time--guess you have to instruct multi up to 200? how else if you go the CFI route?

I'm in your situation too. Is going to ATP for the career pilot training considered a PFT? I mean it doesn't seem like your occupy the right seat that would go to a paid pilot.

Lightheart said:
Hi all,

Would anyone please give advice on which FO Programs would be good to consider.

I'm a mature PPL holder (37) and will have my IR/CPL/ME done very shortly and so need to acquire the "right" experience to build up to and beyond 1000 hrs.

Also, am I being realistic that US carriers would consider taking me on at 39/40 (when I've got the experience)?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Gulfstream has a great FO program, but don't go there putting all your eggs in one basket make sure you have different options for when your finish.

Yes, ...from what I understand, you still have to be willing to work CFI (which is a (very) good thing in general, BUT ive heard bad things about Gulfstream and ATP--albet from this message board--I could be wrong,...but as usual, I don't think so.

It is your choice!

Sorenk,

As you can clearly see everybody's got something to say a bout "Paying for Training". You should go and check out in person what ever school, FBO or program you're interested in. You be the judge, not an aviation forum.
Good Luck and choose wisely!

Bigdaddymike said:
Sorenk,

You be the judge, not an aviation forum.

But here's the thing........Those admission counselors are going to make it sound like their program is the only way to get a job. They are going to fill your head with lies and "See, you too can be wearing epaulets in 6 months".

I used to work as a CFI for one of those "Pilot Factories" and saw first hand how those poor kids were getting screwed. In fact, everytime a new prospective student came for his/her meeting with the admissions person, they would purposely take him/her around back so they wouldn't walk through the lobby and possibly strike up a conversation with the current disgruntled students.

All I'm saying, is don't make your judgement based on what the admissions person is telling you. Take some of the advice off this board, ask questions, and don't end up getting screwed!

Bigdaddymike said:
Sorenk,

As you can clearly see everybody's got something to say a bout "Paying for Training". You should go and check out in person what ever school, FBO or program you're interested in. You be the judge, not an aviation forum.
Good Luck and choose wisely!
Did you go through one of these programs? Did it help you into an EMB?

logansun said:
Did you go through one of these programs? Did it help you into an EMB?

No, but my best friend did.

All I'm saying is for the guy to take somebody with him so he can get a better look at whatever place he wants to go.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back