First Flight Out - Charlotte

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA31Ho

They are listed on raa.org but I know it's an old site, anybody have any info on them? I'm assuming they aren't even around anymore.

Thanks

I know a few of the former First Flight Out guys. I don't know the exact date they closed up shop, but they haven't been arround for close to a year, I would guess...

No More

Unfortunatly First Flight out/Saber is no more. The last revenue flight was last May (2004) I believe. The auction to sell of the assets was in July I think. The new owner (different owners between Saber and FFO but same management) decided he had lost enough money and spent enough time on it and decided to cease operations and sell it off. They had to get a totally ne operating certificate from one to the other, the time and expense of doing that the owner paying for everything out of packet for months, was what killed it. It was a fun place to work with good guys there, sad to see it go. The raa site is just out of date, they seem to be slow correcting stuff on their airline list.-kingaira90

I worked for Saber in the 1990's. They went belly up. They lost their C402 and their helicopter to trajic accidents. They were also fined heavily by the FAA. They reemerged as First Flight Out, but didn't last too long. At CLT at the Aviation Museum ramp, there is an old C-47 that used to fly for Saber. It was a unique place. Had a former pro wrestler (Rugged Ronnie Garvin) who flew for them and some interesting mechanics as well, a cinvicted felon, a registered sex offender, and oh I forgot, the one who converted the janitor's closet into a one room apartment and lived in the hangar as well.

Drill Sgt. Dad said:
I worked for Saber in the 1990's. They went belly up. They lost their C402 and their helicopter to trajic accidents. They were also fined heavily by the FAA. They reemerged as First Flight Out, but didn't last too long. At CLT at the Aviation Museum ramp, there is an old C-47 that used to fly for Saber. It was a unique place. Had a former pro wrestler (Rugged Ronnie Garvin) who flew for them and some interesting mechanics as well, a cinvicted felon, a registered sex offender, and oh I forgot, the one who converted the janitor's closet into a one room apartment and lived in the hangar as well.

I flew with Rugged Ronnie Garvin at CCAir...he left there during the wonderful time of the Mesa buy out and went to NetJets I believe!

foreverfo said:
I flew with Rugged Ronnie Garvin at CCAir...he left there during the wonderful time of the Mesa buy out and went to NetJets I believe!

are you sure it was Ronnie and not his former tag team partner. Ronnie worked at saber from the 80s until 2002 or so. He wasn't the type that would fit in at a regular airline. I do remember hearing that his tag team "brother" worked at ccair. I think he went by something garvin for a "stage" name also.-kingaira90

foreverfo said:

That was Jimmy Williams. A.K.A. Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin. He's at Netjets. I bailed from the Chicken Chicken also after Mesa took over. When were you at the Chcicken Chicken?

Latest resources

Back