Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoDEAN

Cabo Wabo Express
The head pilot at the FBO I fly out of, approached me today, and asked if I would be interested in a Co-pilot position for his charter division. I guess he has 7 King Airs, and he needs a few co-pilots. He said that the pay is around 75 per trip, and on the way back, after dropping passengers off, I would be able to fly under part 91. I do have my multi rating. This would be my first concrete job.
In the event that this job doesn't fall through, what is the best tactic for finding a job like this? Sitting around an FBO listening for the right person to mention the words (looking for a copilot)?

What things should I be looking for, or asking about the job?

Aviation job hunting

Really, aviation job hunting isn't much different than looking for any other job. You tell people that you're looking, you network with your aviation friends and you send out resumes and cover letters. You can also hand-deliver your materials. Then, you follow-up on the contacts you make.

Networking is probably the most vital component. A walked-in resume accompanied by a recommendation from someone in the company is extremely effective, but not a guarantee that you will receive consideration.

Getting a job at an FBO is a great way to make contact with people who can help you. Plenty of FBO flight instructors meet people with aircraft they want to fly. Working line service puts you in contact with pilots and aircraft you want to fly.

Hope this helps a little. Make sure that you learn the King Airs you're flying inside and out. It's a good bet that any interviewer who spots the time in your logbook will ask you probing questions about the airplane.

You mention networking. Most of the people I know are chief pilot's at American Airlines in Chicago, and professors from Embry Riddle and Western Michigan Univeristy.

How would they help with networking/getting a job at an FBO ?

Gizbug,

You are going to have a take a little initiative here. Are you an outgoing individual? If so, you have probably met other pilots at FBOs. Do you go to conferences such as Air Inc., AOPA, AirVenture, NBAA, WIA and the like? If so, then inevitably you'll strike up conversations with other pilots and get leads.

I've met lots of pilots while on trips, hanging out at the FBO, and I've also made many new friends at conferences. I've been able to help out some people and they've helped me. That is what networking is. But you have to be assertive and search out opportunities.

You need to tell us how are you going to log this time?
Is this an 135 operation?
Does their ops manual requires an SIC?
Just be carefull, how to log your time, since the King-Air (90,100,200) requires only one pilot.

We would probably fly from point A to point B, pick up passengers at point B, fly them to point C, back to point B, drop them off, and fly back to Point A. I would probably be able to fly part 91 on the legs A-B and B-A. No SIC is required, but according to the FBO, I would handle the radios on the legs that are 135.

Networking

I don't think you could do much better than making nice with a chief pilot or flight manager at American. He/she may not be able to do much for you directly except to put you in touch with people who can help you. Moreover, such a person could attach an LOR to your Eagle app and walk in your app to H.R. when the time comes. That will do you more good than you can imagine.

I agree that ERAU profs probably can't do much for you except write LORs. But, LORs are important.

Just meet people. I agree that it takes a certain amount of initiative to walk up to complete strangers and introduce yourself.

Latest resources

Back