• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fireworks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Washington state reservations are/used to be pretty good.

U-I pilot said:
Any places better than indiana for "good" fireworks?
The native American reservations in Washington state are (or at least, were some years ago) pretty good. Many unsafe and insane things can be purchased outright. And you can get anything else you want, for a price. Just walk up and say, "M-80's?" (or whatever you want) while looking at the ground, slightly under your breath. If they have what you want, they'll respond, "are you a cop?" You say, "no, I'm not. How much?" You can then negotiate prices/quantities. (as a side note, I have no idea why people think undercover cops can't lie).

I actually haven't done the high(er) explosive thing in quite a few years so it may have changed. But it used to be pretty easy to find all sorts of really cool explosives, really big rockets, etc. at these places.

HazMat

DJS said:
The native American reservations in Washington state are (or at least, were some years ago) pretty good. Many unsafe and insane things can be purchased outright. And you can get anything else you want, for a price. Just walk up and say, "M-80's?" (or whatever you want) while looking at the ground, slightly under your breath. If they have what you want, they'll respond, "are you a cop?" You say, "no, I'm not. How much?" You can then negotiate prices/quantities. (as a side note, I have no idea why people think undercover cops can't lie).

I actually haven't done the high(er) explosive thing in quite a few years so it may have changed. But it used to be pretty easy to find all sorts of really cool explosives, really big rockets, etc. at these places.
Cops do lie and I am unsure why the question is really asked. If the person is being held unwillfully to commit an illegal act [highly possible] and the cop lies stating he is not a cop then the transaction will go through further endangering an innocent participant. However, if the cop admits to being a cop he gives the suspect an opportunity to escape the ruse or, the opportunity to finger others in the crime to save his own skin.

One thing about military flying is that they put pilots into every imaginable situation possible with out a second thought. Carrying high explosives, loaded weapons, fuel, ammunition, flares, unexploded ordinance [although they do allow the option whether or not to carry undetonated shells found in the field, usually DOT comes in to evaluate the risk]; mountains, low level through the trees over forests, over water, EMT, high altitude para drops. Once in the civilian market pilots get their hands tied regarding what they can and can't do. There is no product/service marketability in the military.

Whatever.....just don't overfly my house! (You can buzz my ex's, though)

flx757 said:
It's also one of the best places...from a safe and legal distace, obviously...to WATCH the fireworks show. :cool:
I have to disagree with that. I tried that one year and was immensely disappointed. Not only do you not hear the explosive sounds, the colors and shapes of the fireworks are lost among the ground lights.

I've gone flying around fireworks many times, and have never found them to be particularly impressive from the air (the fourth of july kind, anyway). Much better seen on the ground where burning mortar casings can fall on you in the dark.

As for flying explosives, pull your heads out of the sand. Criminey.

I've hauled explosives numerous times under Part 135 without any difficulty, and fully legally, and quite safely. As for carrying fireworks in your private airplane, it shouldn't be an issue. You carry them in your car, you can carry them in your airplane. I wouldn't carry them in your lap, but you can certainly carry them in the airplane.

You have more BTU's of explosive energy in one fuel cell than you'll ever pack in the airplane in quantity of fireworks. Don't light the fireworks in flight; that's common sense. But carrying them? Not that big a deal.

You who whine about the mentality of carrying a few fireworks are quite content to drive around with an explosive squib in your face in your car (any of you have an airbag??), but wouldn't dream of putting a sparkler in it's factory packaging in the airplane. Go figure.

avbug said:
.....I've hauled explosives numerous times under Part 135 without any difficulty, and fully legally, and quite safely. As for carrying fireworks in your private airplane, it shouldn't be an issue. You carry them in your car, you can carry them in your airplane. I wouldn't carry them in your lap, but you can certainly carry them in the airplane. .....
You were regulated under 135 with HAZMAT training and oversight (for what it's worth). There are certain protocals to follow and a plan (some what) if there is a problem. It is still illegal under 49 CFR Part 175.
If you do crash and burn, fire & rescue isn't expecting a fireworks display coming from your aircraft. Don't make GA anymore a target for the Feds/TSA/News media than we already are.

If you do crash and burn, fire & rescue isn't expecting a fireworks display coming from your aircraft.
Don't be ridiculous.

You're a firefighter, are you? Got experience fighting aircraft fires, and know this?

I'm expecting big fireworks. Sort of a mute point when you're dead...but have you ever seen a fuel tank blevy...blow up? Have you ever whitnessed a flashover? I surely have, and I've seen it melt metal and glass, bubble the mask on my self contained breathing aparatus, cause the air in my tank to be too hot to breathe. And you're worried about a firecracker or a sparkler. Crikey.

Of course crash rescue is expecting a fireworks display. Being prepared for anything less would be unprofessional. Ever seen a Class D fire?

As for proper precautions and training...I had a gig hauling airbags and squib explosives in a lear 35 once. The airplanes were packed. What sort of precautions do you take when every available square inch of space is full of explosives or expansive materials? You don't. It's a paperwork issue. Sometimes special packaging and precautions are taken, just like any other hazmat, but often hazmat cargo is handled about like any other.

As for HMR 175 preventing the original poster from hauling some firecrackers in a Cessna 172...forget it. Have you read the regulation? Does it not state that the applicability is to transportation of hazmat in aircraft in air commerce??? (It does). If joe blow picks up materials and moves them privately, for private use, how do you suppose that factors into air commerce?

flx757 said:
It's also one of the best places...from a safe and legal distace, obviously...to WATCH the fireworks show. :cool:
A few weeks ago i had to fly by myself at night to get current, there just happened to be a fireworks display about 4 miles north of the field lined up directly ahead of the runway i was using. Not a bad view at all, just unique, but i'd still rather be closer to the fireworks and not in an airplane so that i can hear them.

avbug said:
You who whine about the mentality of carrying a few fireworks are quite content to drive around with an explosive squib in your face in your car (any of you have an airbag??), but wouldn't dream of putting a sparkler in it's factory packaging in the airplane. Go figure.
Hey, when I carry airbags in my airplane, they're called Hazardous Goods. When I get enough of them, they're called excess Hazardous Goods, and I have to have a waiver.
avbug said:
I'm expecting big fireworks. Sort of a mute point when ...
ARRrrrggggggghh. It's a MOOT point! :) MOOT ! ;) NOT mute! :rolleyes:

avbug said:
As for HMR 175 preventing the original poster from hauling some firecrackers in a Cessna 172...forget it. Have you read the regulation? Does it not state that the applicability is to transportation of hazmat in aircraft in air commerce??? (It does). If joe blow picks up materials and moves them privately, for private use, how do you suppose that factors into air commerce?
I keep forgetting. DO you mean to say that I could carry fingernail clippers on a 172, too?

;) :cool: :) :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back