• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fires......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No helicopter platform will be used as a lead...I don't think that's ever been remotely considered.

USFS doesn't do a combined lead/attack role: that's the ASM job put out by BLM.

The AH-1 would make a good longline platform, but there are also better aircraft. The principle attraction to the cobra is it's acquisition cost for various agencies. The USFS is fielding some 407's presently, which appear to be good aircraft for their role in a helittack use.

The only time helo's are used for an air attack role is more of either fast recon during hellittack duties (prior to setting up an LZ), or on a large complex fire when a heliboss is assigned. In general, however, the helicopters are worked by the same fixed wing air attack.

The issue with using helicopters for an air attack role is primarily one of cost. It's a whole lot cheaper to put a Twin Commander up there than it is to put up an L-3 or 212.

FDF does have some AH-1's, and they are using them.

No helicopter platform will be used as a lead...I don't think that's ever been remotely considered.

Actually Avbug, they have considered it. Then they shelved it. Hopefully for good.

Fire Snake

Milwan,
I think you are wrong. They call it the Firesnake. It will be used in Califorina and will be performing the ASM role. It is happning dude. Leadplanes are going away and the Leadplane pilots are becoming highly skilled Smokejumper captains, if they can meet the high standards.

DC-3tp
Well, that shouldn't be too hard. At least they aren't trying to turn the smokejumper pilots into leadplane pilots.

About a 1 1/2 ago I saw the FL Forestry with there AH-1 in TLH.

Red and white.

What ever happened to the A-10 tanker?

The cobras were coming aboard the first year we did the fire storms down there, and were in use the next year. I saw them in TLH and at Lake City.

The A-10's are a pet project of a group of A-10 drivers. The impetus behind the A-10's was a covert attempt to sell them to foriegn countries by certain intelligence agencies, couched in a deal a decade ago in which military airplanes were provided to civillain contractors as air tankers.

Presently the group trying to promote the A-10 is a private effort which has nothing at all to do with the origional A-10 effort. The airplane was never seriously considered for fire work. The group trying to promote the airplane presently is called Firehogs. Entertaining, argumentative, zero experience in fire, but very enthusiastic.

More on Firesnake

The Firesnake (modified Cobra) will be used by the USFS and crewed by FS pilots. The OV-10's and O-2's used by CDF are Air Attack platforms. I don't think they provide the full mission like the BLM ASM platforms and the FS Leadplanes. They don't have the low level responsibilities that are part of the Lead mission. Maybe Milwan can expand on the subject and clear up this discussion.

DC-3tp,
You are correct. The CDF O-2 and OV-10 are only used for air attack. They are not used as leadplanes or ASM

Airtankers ready so far....

I hear there are only two airtankers ready and carded so far for 2003... both are P-3s..... anybody know if this is true? Awfully late in the year if so....

Latest resources

Back