Fired from a previous job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilot279

I'm curious how to deal with being fired from a previous job in an upcoming airline interview.

I do know that most companies won't give the exact reason they've fired someone because of legal issues ... therefore I'm wondering if I should even admit that I've been fired from a job, or be honest with them in case they find out.

I can't imagine being fired from a previous job will prevent someone from getting hired though, since not everyone has a perfect record.

Do they call all of your previous employers?

Be honest- they will find out you lied and its make their decision real easy.

Tell them the facts without "bad-mouthing" your former company. Don't get defensive when they ask questions, remember, they want to see how you are in pressure situations. Also, answer only the question they ask-don't volunteer info, it gives them more ammo to work. Just relax and enjoy the process. Good luck.

I'm not to sure if they call or if they send out letters. Hope this helps.

Your previous employer can only tell your prospective employer if you are "re-hireable" or "not re-hireable". That usually equates to being fired or quitting. Like others have said, if this is in the past 10 years you had better tell the truth if they even ask. Don't divulge if it isn't asked!

Yep. Don't lie about it. Tell how you were fired and let them decide if they want you or not. If you don't mention it and they find out (they WILL), you'll get fired in groundschool or while you're comfortably on-line. Then you're fired from TWO jobs.

Lying is out of the question, just be yourself. Unfortunately, I know a few people that have gotten jobs for lying about all sorts of things, like time in a/c, etc. Nice to have those people out there undermining the things all of us honest people work to achieve.

I plan on being honest as there is nothing to hide. Aside from this and a few speeding tickets my history is clean.

I was more concerned whether or not the fact that I was fired before would prevent them from even considering me. I've had a couple of great jobs after being fired from the one mentioned earlier. I'm not going to worry about it and if it comes up I'll just be honest.

Thanks for the info.

Termination

Your invitation to interview is a positive sign. So many employers who see "termination" on job apps discard them and do not try to qualify the applicant.

You cannot lie about your termination. Hopefully, your interviewer will let you explain the situation. Explain what happened as dispassionately as possible.

Employment attorneys generally advise employers to confine their reference responses to dates of employment, salary and eligibility for rehire. They expose themselves to defamation lawsuits if they say much more.

Some companies contact prior employers and some don't. It might depend on the type of job and your credentials.

Good luck with your interview.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back