• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dabandermac

fratdaddy
Ok, here is my situation....

I'm a student pilot with 50 hours....have all the ppl reqs filled minus the checkride prep. Problem is I took a hiatus from training for the semester due to a high course load, teaching, and research (i'm a biochem student).

I have done all my training in KTLH (class C), but will be home in south florida over winter break & want to finish my training at KLNA, a smaller, uncontrolled airport in busy palm beach county.

My question's are: how much trouble will I have adjusting to the south florida traffic at an uncontrolled airport? Is this even feasible? Will I just be wasting a ton of money becoming familiar with the area? Should I just wait until I get back to Tallahassee?

I would really like to finish training over Christmas break while I'm not busy, but don't know how much work it will be. Any responses are appreciated.

CV

shouldn't be hard to adjust at all. if you're up doing dual, you'll let the instructor handle the radios first and just learn from them. you should also only need a few hours of dual to show you are proficient. i wouldn't let them nickel and dime you.

bring your butt up to daytona. we'll have you in and out, lickety split.

dabandermac said:

I'm a student pilot with 50 hours....have all the ppl reqs filled minus the checkride prep. Problem is I took a hiatus from training for the semester due to a high course load, teaching, and research (i'm a biochem student).

I have done all my training in KTLH (class C), but will be home in south florida over winter break & want to finish my training at KLNA, a smaller, uncontrolled airport in busy palm beach county.

My question's are: how much trouble will I have adjusting to the south florida traffic at an uncontrolled airport? Is this even feasible? Will I just be wasting a ton of money becoming familiar with the area? Should I just wait until I get back to Tallahassee?

I would really like to finish training over Christmas break while I'm not busy, but don't know how much work it will be. Any responses are appreciated.

CV

Not only will you do OK, but it will probably be a give you some good experience at uncontrolled fields as well.

-DJ

OrcasC180 said:
Not only will you do OK, but it will probably be a give you some good experience at uncontrolled fields as well.

It will be good experience to work out of a non-towered field, however, you should expect that it will take you some extra time to adjust to making your own pattern entries and radio calls, becoming familiar with the local ops well enough to look good on a checkride. How much? That's like asking how much will it take me to solo? It is a very high variable. Some adapt right away, others take more time. The least cost is going to be to go back to TLH where you really only need to brush up on what you already know.

dabandermac said:

CV

PM me if you want a GREAT CFI down there. I used to work in a shop there and did a fair amount of flying out of LNA and Wellington Aero Club.

Latest resources

Back