finishing degree while junior FO?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gliderguider

I was wondering what it's like to be a junior FO at a Regional while trying to complete a college degree online. Currently I'm about half way through an Aviation degree at a 4 year University. School is fun and all, but I would really like to make the move up to a Regional and get about a 2 year jump on seniority, and complete my degree online. Have any of you guys out there done this, and how well do programs like UVSC and ERAU fit into the busy life of a junior FO? Would this be something I would regret later in life? Thanks to those who reply

This is a tough one, but since you are on here soliciting opinions, here is mine.. You should switch to a non-aviation related degree then stick it out and finish it full time at the school... Seniority is good, but if down the road you go somewhere else and get furloughed or lose your medical or whatever, You won't regret having taken the extra time to develop your backup plan. You shouldn't jump on an opportunity just because it is there. A lot of times its better to stick it out where you are and wait for something better.

I was wondering what it's like to be a junior FO at a Regional while trying to complete a college degree online. Currently I'm about half way through an Aviation degree at a 4 year University. School is fun and all, but I would really like to make the move up to a Regional and get about a 2 year jump on seniority, and complete my degree online. Have any of you guys out there done this, and how well do programs like UVSC and ERAU fit into the busy life of a junior FO? Would this be something I would regret later in life? Thanks to those who reply

Trying to finish up your degree while working at a regional is a great idea, if you can make it work. Hopefully all of your classes are online. I don't see it possible to pass a traditional off-line class while going through training or reserve, even if class and class are in the same place [even if you're a Psych major studying how obsessive-compulsive behavior combines with claustrophobia to create a condition known as supertoolius-anulus].

As far as completing a 4-year aviation degree, let me give you some 20/20 hindsight. Thinking that a 4-year degree in aviation is going to get you ahead in the airline industry is about as messed up as doing your weight and balance using Chinese arithmetic. Save your money, and complete a degree in another discipline [something interesting or productive]. You can be happy in this business, but your happiness will depend upon your attitude and the choices you make throughout your career. Best to you.

There will be a day when you wish never to see another airplane in your life. Yes, there will. Plan accordingly. Get a degree in something that interests you, get drunk, study, get laid. There will be plenty of time to be a bitter regional pilot later.

For the “College Only” crowd, there are many ways to skin a cat. There is a time tested path where I have seen too many people succeed. That is fly full time, do your degree on the side, build time, build your resume. You are taking the right path of getting out of the classroom and into the cockpit; you might even find a job that the company gives you money for going to school. If you want to be a pilot you fly airplanes. I will not debate the fall back value of a college degree, as I have stated many times it is nearly worthless after not being used for 20 years. Here is some of the latest Air Inc hiring stats from Kit. Percent of hires with no 4-yr degree, AirTran 12%, CAL 9%, DHL 33%, Jet Blue 18% and SWA 7%. Are those not good jobs? In addition, to take this one step further if 95% of the pilots applying have four yr degrees and those airline hiring non 4 yr degree pilots in the 7% to 33% range. It would tend to support that the degree is not all that important in getting a good airline job.

I finished my degree online with ERAU. And it actually worked out pretty nice. Unlike being on campus at ERAU they actually seem to want to try to help you out and get you closer to the degree everyday instead of giving you the Riddle Runaround like they do on campus. When I did it a few years ago each class would set you back a total of 500 to 600 bucks depending on the books. A class would last about 3 months and you could start new a new class every month if you wanted to. Just take 1 class the first time and see how it goes. I eventually buckled down and overlapped 2 semesters and had 4 classes one month, it sucked. Most classes you have to do a lot of reading then some kind of practice homework you have to email in. Other teachers give a participation grade on how much you interact with the other classmates on the bulliten board. Then you have to have a proctor for your midterms and finals. ERAU sends the proctor the test then you go to the proctor and take the test and the proctor mails it back. You have to get them approved first. Has to be someone with good morals like a school teacher, librarian, etc. I used an old high school teacher I had back in the day. Anyways it worked out ok. The hardest thing is getting the motiviation to study. Its not like class where you have to go and when you are there you are learning. You have to read it all by yourself and do all the work with basically no help. You get to post questions online if you have them, but it might take the professor a day to get back with you.

Yeah change degrees and enjoy college, only happens once! Business degree with Intelligent Studies doubles my paycheck on days off.

Not too many party /fun overnights out there... well "not what it used to be" is usually what you hear while the door slames and clicks. So have fun at college while you can!

I can't stress enough how important it is to have a degree in something other than aviation. It's probably the most important advice you will ever receive in your entire career. Unless you can get back the downtown overnights and high pay, this career will never be as fun as a non-aviation college. Besides a tornado just ripped through ERAU, so even God agrees.

I've flown with Captains that were finishing online and I did my Masters Degree online, entirely on overnights. Go to work now, just make sure you finish things up

Latest resources

Back