• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Filthy Hotel Rooms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I saw that Blacklight special thing on 60 mins (or one of those) -- that was pretty scary....

If your company allows..stick to the higher end hotels. No guarantee of perfectly clean rooms, but I wont stay at a Best Western or a Holiday Inn, thanks..

My preferences:

Intercontinental (six continents club!)
Grand Hyatt
JW Marriott

In my opinion, regular Marriotts have gone down the tubes lately...even though I like thier points..

Yes bear in mind these are expensive hotels, but luckily thats where we stay. Safety in foreign countries is a priority. Also, our F/As need to get decent safe catering...It is always nice to be at least comfortable when you are away for long stretches, and Intercontinentals seem to go all out for you - from free bottles of wine waiting in your room to fresh fruit each morning, and some even do chillled bottle water at night...NICE!

Either way, even at the Best Western, never settle for a dirty room! get a new one, and a free night or something...

The worst experience?? -- How about a 12 hour night of flying, 1.5 hour ride to the hotel in smelly 3rd world traffic, lengthy check-in....you FINALLY trudge up to your 23rd floor room....and the F'n key card does not work....Thats about as homicidal as one can get...

Last edited:
My worst one was actually at a hotel chain that is known for being pretty good (Hilton). I did my normal thing, change into my civis, get my cloths set up for the next day, then I whent to take a leak before going to find something for dinner. It should have clicked with the toliet seat down. I lift the seat and stared at the biggest load of crap, It was so nasty I almost spewed chunks right there. Boy did they hear it!!

Try the hotdogs in the FBO at JAX at 11:30 at night. Then wash them down with crappy fruit punch and popcorn or cookies. Then sit in the room with the nice couch and fart nasty hotdog fart until everyone leaves. Ahhh, the couch is mine at last.

The worst experience?? -- How about a 12 hour night of flying, 1.5 hour ride to the hotel in smelly 3rd world traffic, lengthy check-in....you FINALLY trudge up to your 23rd floor room....and the F'n key card does not work....Thats about as homicidal as one can get... [/B]

Been there, done that! D@mn near tore the head off the desk clerk especially after the 20 min check-in.
Oh but its such a glamorous job!!!!! Wife thinks I'm spoiled 'cause I get to stay in "all those nice hotels".

Gulfstream 200 said:
The worst experience?? -- How about a 12 hour night of flying, 1.5 hour ride to the hotel in smelly 3rd world traffic, lengthy check-in....you FINALLY trudge up to your 23rd floor room....and the F'n key card does not work....Thats about as homicidal as one can get...
Been there, done that too...

Stingray said:
I lift the seat and stared at the biggest load of crap, It was so nasty I almost spewed chunks right there.
Good thing you didn't, the splash back would have been nastier than the view! OK, I just totally grossed myself out with that visual!

another favorite. after an 18hr day...

(Im standing there with conformations in my hand)

"Oh, sorry sir, we dont show ANY rooms for you and we are all booked up"...

OK, tell ya what dip$hit, Im gonna get undressed, lie down here in front of your check in desk, you let me know when you find a room...

"Oh, we seem to have found them"..

:rolleyes:

PS - I second that HILTON $ucks story...Im sure we have all had the pleasure of staying at that PBI airport Hilton. What a freakin' DUMP

Last edited:
Since we're on the duty time issue...

The maintenance manager at a hotel I stay at frequently was telling me that on his 4th of july long weekend he got called in to work. Seems somebody left a diaper and two baby ruth's floating in the hot tub over by the pool.

They had to drain the pool and sanitize the system before refilling it. He told me he shocked the hell out of it after it was filled just to be safe. I don't care what he does to the pool, I never went in that thing before and I aint getting in it now.

Speaking of hotel horror stories

Speaking of hotel horror stories, here’s one to make you cringe.

About 8 years ago Nashville TN. A Red Roof Inn South of the Airport on 65, checked in late, Friday night/Saturday morning during the summer.

Room was on third floor, elevator was busted, had to hump all our bags up the steps then about 75 yards to the room.

Room was so-so for the $35.00 we shelled out for it, with rowdy neighbors to boot.

Was on my way out of my room down stairs to hit the vending machines when these kids busted thru a door sloshing beer etc. all over the place woohooing and squealing like a pair of piglets.

I snapped at told them to shut the hell up before they wake up the dead or catch the attention of the cops. They just looked at me funny, mumbled something under their breath at me, I ignored them and proceeded to hunt down a coke machine.

Couldn’t find one had to walk three blocks to a quickie store.

When I got back to the room the kids were leaving, one called out “hey buddy”, when I turned he threw a condom which hit me in the face, yes it was wet and I saw red, cokes hit the floor and I grabbed the first punk I could find and tried my **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**edest to throw him over the rail three stories to the ground.

His buddy pops me in the back of the head with something again so I turn quickly and backhand the broad he’s with pretty hard, busted her nose, blood every where, she hollers and runs. The last kids pulls a big knife and I jump back about 10 feet or so and crash into a huge fire extinguisher hanging on the wall, enough for me so I grab the thing pull the pin and blast the kid in the face.

By this time room doors are opening and closing rather quick, my partner is up and outside with me and I go after the punk with the knife and blast him again with the extinguisher as he runs for the stairs I wait at the top of the railing and he comes into view I hurl the extinguisher down the steps hitting him in the back, he hits the pavement in a loud yell, gets up and limps off around the building.

I go inside call 911.

Went to the ER that night and was tested for everything under the sun, cops took possession of the condom and had it tested as well.

Cops told me the kid could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon due to the possibility of infectious and very deadly diseases carried by body fluid.

Two weeks later I get a call from Metro PD in BNA, rubber tested negative for semen, was filled with beer all my lab tests came back A-OK, kid was arrested when he returned to the same hotel with the same group the next weekend, manger recognized him, called the cops.

Punks…

:mad:

Lots of skanky hotels out there! It is hard to tell just how good or bad they might be. You can't count on a brand name either, they just differ too much between locations. I actually prefer some of the smaller well run hotels to some of the bigger chains though you can get extra miles at some of the chains.

As far as some of the better hotels I have been at I would have to say that two stand out the most. The Seoul Plaza, and the La Posada in Laredo, TX. Not too much to do in Laredo, but if you have to stay there the La Posada is the way to go.

I had one time in the Anchorage Hilton and they had some convention going on for a whole bunch of High School Basketball teams. I got one room and was starting to try to sleep and I was getting eaten alive by something in the bed. Who knows what one of those giraffes brought with them from some creepy crawly high school gym locker room. Ugh!

I was in one hotel in Dayton, OH and there was a wastebasket full of decaying human excrement. Yuk!

Otherwise I guess I have had to endure just as many scuzzy hotels as everyone else.

For me a hotel does not fancy or high class, though don't get me wrong I like those real well. The most important things especially if it is a overnight layover are that it be:

1. Clean
2. Quiet
3. Attentive and COOPERATIVE Staff
4. An exercise room (well equipped and functional)
5. Easy Availability of good food at a reasonable price (no fast food) and not necessarily in the hotel.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back