• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Filing IFR to no WX/no app. airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know 135 and 121 now have an Op Spec A057 For "Eligible On-Demand Operations". I believe it allows you to go take a peak at an airport that has no weather reporting, can shoot appraoch if you have a current altimeter setting. I could be wrong but I believe that is the basic jist of it, Later.

Avbug and All,

Thanks for the many comments to my post. I am new to this company and hadn't gone over the OpsSpecs with a fine tooth comb until now. So after researching this a little further, I have come up with this conclusion.

Nowhere in our OpsSpecs does it allow this type of specific operation. It does however allow us to fly VFR. So the natural answer would be to file and fly IFR to an airport nearby that has WX reporting and IAPs, then cancel and proceed VFR.

The one strange thing I found while researching this though is listed in 8400.10 Vol. 3 Chapter 6 Sect. 5 para. 1257(A).
It states "It is impractical for a PIC to conduct a flight to a non-controlled field by cancelling IFR at the last radio navigation fix and then proceeding under VFR to destination on a VFR flightplan. ATC does not accept composite IFR/VFR flightplans. Normally, ATC will not activate a VFR flight on an air traffic control frequency. A PIC who cancels IFR and then changes to a flight-watch frequency to activate a VFR flightplan is not in compliance with FAR 135.79."

Again, thanks for all the comments.

So the natural answer would be to file and fly IFR to an airport nearby that has WX reporting and IAPs, then cancel and proceed VFR.

Only if you immediately open a VFR flight plan to your destination after closing the IFR plan. In most cases, cancelling IFR prior to landing isn't legal. It's not uncommon, but for most operators, it's not legal.

135.4 previously mentioned regards eligible on demand operations, and must be approved by OpSpecs.

Note the quote you provided from 8400.10:

A PIC who cancels IFR and then changes to a flight-watch frequency to activate a VFR flightplan is not in compliance with FAR 135.79.

avbug said:
Only if you immediately open a VFR flight plan to your destination after closing the IFR plan. In most cases, cancelling IFR prior to landing isn't legal. It's not uncommon, but for most operators, it's not legal.

The remainder of that paragraph I quoted did allow for one legal way of doing it. It stated that if you let the operator (ie company dispatcher) know before departure of the arrival time, and that you make contact as soon as you land, that qualifies as legal under 135.79.

Only if the operator has this as an approved flight locating proceedure, listed in the general operations manual. The operator may not simply do this and be legal; the operator must submit this as part of the GOM for approval, and then must follow whatever proceedure the operator has outlined in the GOM, to the letter. The operator will be held accountable for that policy and procedure, as outlined in the GOM, the same as regulation. To the operator, that manual is regulatory.

A lot of operators don't realize that, but if the manual says you'll wear a white shirt with a blue tie, and you wear a white shirt with a black tie, you're not in compliance, and are liable. Will an inspector chase you down for your tie color? Probably not, but he or she could if he or she wanted to...and while that's a rather pissy example, issues regarding flight following are not. Be sure you have an approved proceedure covering whatever you decide to do, to back yourself up. Heaven knows that when the chips are down, your employer probably won't.

Latest resources

Back