Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Do fighters need deicing if contaminated by, say, frost?

Also, how does the military handle snow and ice on fighter airframes?

Okay, that's what I figured. How about frost contamination. Is that treated just like snow and ice as in the civ. world, too?

Okay, that's what I figured. How about frost contamination. Is that treated just like snow and ice as in the civ. world, too?

I know little about military aircraft but why would they be treated any differently? The science behind a contaminated wing cares little about who operates the aircraft.

It's called inexperience bro...But, I remember my instructor telling me that "the only stupid question is the one you never ask"

I know little about military aircraft but why would they be treated any differently? The science behind a contaminated wing cares little about who operates the aircraft.

The question is posed for the branching out of a business end. Before money and time are invested I find that it is prudent to become more familiar with aspects of operations with which I am unfamiliar. The only military stuff I fly is old and has round motors. And frost contamination is treated differently in certain ways from airline to airline even.

I appreciate the input.

Last edited:
Just as Mud Eagle said, the aircraft needs to be ice/frost free before takeoff. I've seen it removed by everything from hand held alcohol de-icers to brooms to lance corporals with size nine boots. Or, often it'll melt by the time the aircraft is through with post-start checks.

Great info, furlo. Thanks!

It's called inexperience bro...But, I remember my instructor telling me that "the only stupid question is the one you never ask"

Easy, I didn't mean anything by it. I only was making the point that contamination is inherently dangerous to any airframe.

Latest resources

Back