Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NW_Pilot

Hello,

I want to remover the right door off my Cessna 150M for some photo work I found an STC for the 150 150 A-B need to know how to go about getting a Field Approval Based upon that STC. Could Someone write up a sample 337 or what ever I need to submit to the faa for the field approval.

Here is the STC

Thanks A Bunch

I'll bet my next tiny-ass paycheck no Fed anywhere in Fedland will do it. You CAN'T get a field approval for anything an STC exists for. Feds cracked down on that about three yeras ago. Besides, all a field approval is good for are things not covered by an STC, and that don't result in MAJOR changes to the aerodynamics of the airplane. Most FSDO's won't even DO field approvals anymore. BUY a copy of the STC from whoever presently holds the STC. It'll pretty much have the paperwork done for you, and may not even require a trip to the FAA. If memory serves, an IA can sign off on that one.

Last edited:
sleddriver77 said:
I'll bet my next tiny-ass paycheck no Fed anywhere in Fedland will do it. You CAN'T get a field approval for anything an STC exists for. Feds cracked down on that about three yeras ago. Besides, all a field approval is good for are things not covered by an STC, and that don't result in MAJOR changes to the aerodynamics of the airplane. Most FSDO's won't even DO field approvals anymore. BUY a copy of the STC from whoever presently holds the STC. It'll pretty much have the paperwork done for you, and may not even require a trip to the FAA. If memory serves, an IA can sign off on that one.

The STC Dose not Exist for a 150M Only 150 And 150 A & B

Oh, ok. Well, best palce to ask is your FSDO. Good luck with it.

Field approvals can be tough for anything...some FSDO's (mine included) "don't do field approvals". My IA managed to talk them into a field approval for an alternator on my Maule because he convinced them it was a safety issue...the old generator (10 or 15 amps) didn't allow me to operate lights in the vicinity of the airport.

If you get beyond that, taking a copy of the STC and showing that there are no significant changes between the A/B models and the M that would be affected by the door being off would probably help, although the swept tail (I think) on your M would probably be considered a significant change.

That being said, I've known a pretty good handful of professional photographers who did their work with the window open on 152's/172's with good results.

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back