• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FI: When will we drop the pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mechanical failures and weather avoidance are the two many reasons you'll never see a pilotless commercial airliner. Could you imagine if a Computer or Remote person was operating the Hudson flight?? However on the flip side maybe a remote pilot would've saved the Air France plane. from going into the sea!!

The public will have no problem going from two pilots to one.

It will be up to us to refuse to fly solo due to safety concerns.

Remember this.

I think a much more realistic scenario will be a single pilot on board flying the airplane and a dispatcher type guy on the ground in radio/cellular contact that can help during emergencies.

Lets face it, the job is easy as hell when the weather is beautiful and everything is working. 1 guy can handle it fine. But throw in a busy IFR environment, an emergency, or a combination of the two and all of a sudden it's something that very few people can handle effectively. At that point, ESPECIALLY in a big, complex airliner, you NEED two pilots. Bad.

Pilotless airliners are NOT happening anytime soon. The public wont accept it. $hit, we just now got the stupid Feds to let use a frickin iPad on the ground. Think pilotless airliners are gonna get certified that fast? Riiiiiiight.

The big question is how will pilots get experience? You will either have inexperienced pilots flying in command of airliners, or you will have to have two pilots quite often.

Guys, we bounce decisions off each other all the time. Doesn't have to be Armageddon out there-
"Do we need type 4 today?"

1/16 sm fog- "where's spot 6?"

There are so many situations that come up that we handle every day- we get paid to make decisions- small and immediate, to larger legalities - "I'm not flying this with this mechanical going on. "

There needs to be a decision maker on board- who has as much to lose and experience as the passengers.

Tell me- are drones evaluating their own mechanical condition?

This is very much sci-FI right now- but in the end- even in sci-fi there's still a capt Kirk and crew-
Taking humanity out of flight would be a mistake

I think a much more realistic scenario will be a single pilot on board flying the airplane and a dispatcher type guy on the ground in radio/cellular contact that can help during emergencies.

Lets face it, the job is easy as hell when the weather is beautiful and everything is working. 1 guy can handle it fine. But throw in a busy IFR environment, an emergency, or a combination of the two and all of a sudden it's something that very few people can handle effectively. At that point, ESPECIALLY in a big, complex airliner, you NEED two pilots. Bad.

Pilotless airliners are NOT happening anytime soon. The public wont accept it. $hit, we just now got the stupid Feds to let use a frickin iPad on the ground. Think pilotless airliners are gonna get certified that fast? Riiiiiiight.

I would agree with you to a point, what about the Air France over the Atlantic, that from the company (airbus) that wants to take the pilot completely out of the loop!

I think the lemmings in the Orient may think it's a novelty to fly on a pilotless airplane, so they would fly on it out of sheer, morbid curiosity. As for the tight-wads in Europe, if they could pinch a penny, they would fly on a drone. As for the US, I think the vast majority of the trailer-park Southwest audience would go along with it, especially if they flew to NASCAR events!!

Yeah, since we have all these automated trains I guess airplanes are next.

Ohhh wait........there isn't automated trains yet. I don't see pilotless airplanes happening in the next 20 years. By then most of us will be long retired. I hope there is such thing as an automated sailboat so I can dedicate my attention to the blender.

http://www.sailomat.com/

The only real application will be cargo. This is because cargo aircraft will then not require life-support system design, and require less system redundancy.

There will always be a human in front of a passenger airliner. That person might not really be a "pilot" as we think of one. Who knows, the training might be very minimal compared to what we do now.

But it will be cheaper to hire a guy to sit up front than to design failsafe self-resetting circuit breakers. Or to design failsafe ice detection systems. Or to design a system that can clear the area before starting the engines.

Taxiing in a congested area is probably an even bigger technical challenge than flight.

What they will do is design an aircraft that does not really need a pilot, but then place one up front to make everyone feel better.

Heck, does the TSA really prevent weapons from getting on the airplane? Hahahahahaha!!!!

But the security theater is necessary for public perception. Likewise, if even ONE pilotless aircraft crashes, even for a reason unrelated to it being pilotless, the moron public will scream their heads off demanding the return of "real pilots".

There will always be a monkey in epaulettes up front. Whether or not he is actually allowed to touch anything is very open to debate.

Plus, any airline that insists they still use "real pilots" will have a marketing advantage over those that don't.

And besides, who is gonna bang the flight attendants on the overnights?

Also, do you really want the ultimate on-board authority figure to be a flight attendant? Really? Airborne cat-fight anyone?

Besides, the FAA has no incentive to ever authorize pilotless 121. Political suicide if there are any accidents.

The technology will be developed, but my prediction is that human nature will never go for it.

Single pilot? Maybe.

I used to be one of those "Maybe...someday...but not in my lifetime" types.

...until this past year when I witnessed:

1) The pilot buffoonery on display in some recent accidents (I guess we truly have become the weakest link)

2) The FAA's gathering momentum on finally establishing regs (and the subsequent approvals) for UAV operations

3) The military continuing to demonstrate what's possible (now they've demo'd UAVs doing flawless traps & cat shots off a carrier!)

4) The major auto manufacturers stated plan for driverless cars within the decade (you think the passenger acceptance thing is going to still be an issue when George just drove them through rush hour traffic to the airport?)

Parents, don't encourage your kids to grow up to be pilots because the job is going to disappear a lot faster than many ever thought possible. :( Never underestimate the pace and ramifications of new technology.

Latest resources

Back