Ferrying Questions?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tk855

If an individual was exploring the option of ferrying aircraft, what is recommended as far as insurance?

How about arriving at a price to charge?

Any other pertinent information you guys think I should know before embarking upon this endeavor?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

tk;)

I used to ferry King Air's and other turboprops across the pond and charged $3000 plus expenses. Light biz jets were more, but not as frequent as the turboprops.

Overseas sales have gone down in recent years, so I dont do it as much if at all. It was a great time, especially overnights in Reykjavik!

Cheers,

sorry for being off subject but damm

Sat 74 That's an impressive TT highest i've seen listed on this board You've got more time in the air than some of the guys on this board have been alive What's the avg time guys have that are flying the 47?

TK855,

A good starting point would be acquiring another two or three thousand hours of experience, plus some experience in a variety of aircraft.

If you're talking domestic delivery, then you can get by with less hours, but the market is competitive. You'd do best to get some ferry experience under someone else with them arranging it and brokering it, before venturing on your own.

If you're talking international delivery, then getting in on your own will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. You'll want to go with an established operator or company, before getting into it on your own. Once you become known, you'll start to get your own business coming in.

If you're going east, expect 1,200 to 1,500 pay for delivering a light single or twin to Europe. Your airfare should be included, and all other expenses taken care of.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies gentlemen!!!

Avbug,

I'm not in any way, shape, or form experienced enough for international ferry.

I was inquiring about domestic ferry jobs and not full-time, maybe just the occasional trip every now and then. I live in ND, so I have a feeling that the demand for ferry pilots is extremely low up here, if not nil!!!! I just thought I would ask in case I lucked out and got a call.

tk

Ill assume you are referring to domestic? I would make sure you are covered by insurance and personally if I was not familiar with the aircraft I would require that I get some type of training. I have taken off a few times in an aircraft I didnt know anything about( one time a mooney with all E.F.I.S. ) Trust me its just not worth it. As far as pay goes whatever your happy with.

If your talking about international-especially the N Atlantic I would definitely suggest you have several more years under your belt... and go to an international training program of some sort, because the procedures are different than those in Kansas Toto!
I would also require cold wx gear although in reality that will only extend your life for another 15 minutes or so.
I guess I would ask for about 50,000 dollars as I consider risking my life for 1500 just too cut-rate.

We heard a small beechcraft one day as we were on the nat tracks. The lady was relaying to other a.c. on guard freq/asking to pass on to Shanwick she needed lower as she were unable to maintain altitude due to ice. Never heard what happened but assumed she made it although that is not my idea of fun

TK,

Ferry flying is a strange dog; it's a catch 22. You will get calls, but only after you have significant ferry experience. You can't get that experience without beating the bushes and making the calls. You're going to need to be insurable in a variety of airplanes, and have experience in most of them. Experience in type isn't always necessary. The reality is that sometimes the checkout is done using the manual on the way to your destination.

However, you need to be in a position to do that in the first place. You need to be marketable, and visibile. You need to be hounding ferry operators, and advertising on your own. Contact ferry operators, dealerships, etc, to find work. Send resumes, letters, etc. Don't get discouraged, because you need to shake a lot of trees to see a single peach. You'll find one if you look hard enough, but the chances of someone calling on you to come do the work, without your slaving away to get it, is somewhat less than being fatally wounded by a siberian tiger in downtown manhattan at the lunch hour on a Sunday.

This time of year, possibly even a little more difficult. For now, you can start with an ad in trade-a-plane, and go from there.

If you are interested in that kind of flying your better bet is to hook up with an aircraft dealer/broker of small planes. I worked for quite a few years for a local dealer of singles and twins and picked up and delivered planes across the country. It was usually fast paced when on the road, but occasionally I had the opportunity to take my time in a long delivery and see the sights. You jump into alot of different make and models with varing equipment (and varing working equipment) so you have to be on the ball and confident. You still may be low hours insurance wise for high performance stuff.

Anyone had any luck doing this as a side job or on weekends?

I used to deliver planes for a business in FL that did modifications on Moonies. They were always looking for someone at the last moment to jump into a plane they had never seen before-usually with no checklist or anything, and oh yeah can you leave in 10 minutes? If you leave your name with a mx shop or an a.c. broker you may be able to pick up some sporatic business.

Latest resources

Back