Ferry Pilot info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

outdoorsguy

Does anybody have any leads or ideas how to get into the ferry pilot loop? I have called the local brokers already. Any other ideas or leads you can help with?

ferry pilots

After you have had a Psych evaluation, call Southern Cross Aviation, in Camarillo ,Ca, talk to Peter Dickens or Peter Frasier, both owners, pilots. They can steer you around, offer advice, who knows may be a job.:)

Yes siree it's a great job. You get to fly derelict, out of annual and/or on ferry permit airplanes that no one else would dream of flying. I recently picked up a Cherokee 180 in Maryland that had numerous wasp nests in the left wing. They were still coming out when I landed in South Carolina. That was one of the nicer planes that I got to ferry because the engine ran good. If you get into ferrying airplanes take my advice and give each and every airplane the most thorough preflight inspection you've ever done with emphasis on the the fuel system if it has sat for any period of time. Good luck.

Edit; Ferrying airplanes is not all negative. It is fun most of the time. You get to see the country, meet interesting people, fly different airplanes and your PIC. If it's adventure you seek look at FFI (Ferry Flight International) they take airplanes all over the world and across the pond via Goose Bay, Iceland and Greenland. Read "Air Vagabonds" by Vallone for more insight.

Last edited:
Globe Aero is another company that does it, they do not ferry used piston singles, only new ones. If its something you want to do, you need to show up in person and be more than just an anonymous person with a resume.

After you have had a Psych evaluation,:)

Well my last Psych evaluation said I was diagnosed as Clinically Insane!! Wait they were correct I am a Ferry Pilot and making a living at it hahahah…. Some situations as a ferry pilot make you appreciate life especially when death is staring you in the face. You must know how to keep your cool in a very stressful situation and know how to solve problem quickly! You must also have more than a general mechanical knowledge & very good understanding of aircraft systems.

Most of all you must have the strength to stick to personal min's and say NO and walk away from an airplane regardless of the outcome! Also stay sharp up on your partial panel instrument skills!

Nothing like jumping in to a single engine airplane and flying out to no mans land 300+ miles from land with no one to talk to "Except for the airliner doing a relay for you telling you that your nuts or have big balls" and wearing the most uncomfortable survival suit really Ph-Ucks with the mind a bit!!!! But it's fun!

Also landing safely in that POS that you flew across the country or pond makes the beer taste better after the job is done!

Ferrying airplanes is a lifestyle you live and breather aviation!

NW_Pilot is correct about ferry pilots.

I did some ferry flights around the world and I agree with what NW_Pilot wrote. All in all it can be done safely, and be fun.
This month I will ferry another SR-22 from the US to the middle east. Then next month start class for ERJ-145.....

AN-2

Get a CFI job with an FBO that is a cessna dealer. At least 2-3 times a week I am ferrying aircraft into/out of maintenance and brand spankin new airplanes. 172s, 182s, 206s, with and without turbos. Pretty sweet gig

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back