• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
FedEx Warns of 'Air Trade War' If Treaty Is Rolled Back
By JOSH MITCHELL

WASHINGTON -- FedEx Corp. Chief Executive Frederick W. Smith warned Wednesday of an "all-out air trade war" if the U.S. Congress moves to block efforts to further deregulate air travel between the U.S. and Europe.
Mr. Smith criticized a push in Congress to roll back provisions of the trans-Atlantic "open skies" treaty that went into effect last year. Under the treaty, European carriers can operate flights to the U.S. from any city in the European Union, and vice versa.
U.S. lawmakers should resist the "protectionist" urge to block additions to the treaty, Mr. Smith said in a speech at an aviation summit hosted by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
"Protectionism is tempting to political leaders when a market is shrinking and an industry is hurting," Mr. Smith said, adding that the U.S. "must simply turn back that tide."
He singled out an initiative in Congress, led by House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman James Oberstar (D., Minn.), to tighten restrictions on foreign ownership of U.S. airlines.
The EU has made easing those restrictions a priority in the next phase of "open skies" talks, scheduled to begin later this year.
"We'll be in an all-out air trade war" if U.S. lawmakers push to roll back the trans-Atlantic treaty, Mr. Smith said.

I guess Fred is pleased with his duopoly with UPS, however, there is some payback coming after DHL screwed two airlines and the economy of southwest Ohio. Fred can only wish he gets it his way.

"Fred can only wish he gets it is way" ...

He will .. he does ... that's what he does.

I don't work for him.

TransMach

So Fred Smith now thinks open-skies are a good idea, and that any other arrangement would be protectionist? What happened to the Fred Smith that only a few years ago challenged DHL's 49% ownership of it's U.S. airline?

I think bukakke is correct, in that Fred has established a duopoly in the U.S., and now wants carte-blanche to expand into Asian markets. As a corporate CEO it's the right position for him to take, although I'm not sure he still holds the political capital he'd need to pull it off.

"Fred can only wish he gets it is way" ...

He will .. he does ... that's what he does.

I don't work for him.

TransMach

Well, don't know bout the rest of all this stuff, but i do know he owns the controllers in Memphis. Had a Center guy turn me off the arrival to let an MD11 go by me, and I was doin 79 mach, 120 miles from the field.

Latest resources

Back