Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T Dub

Hey Guys,

For all of you that are waiting to get the call for an interview, I thought that I would fill you in on how it all happened for me. I had my "Grip and Grin" back in March and was called for an interview on the 9th and 10th of November. One of the guys in our interview group met with the ACP back in December, so don't sweat it if you don't hear something right away. It took almost 5 weeks for me to get the call, but I finally got the call yesterday afternoon for a Jan. 23 class date! When you get the call for your interview, one of the first calls you need to make is to the guys at Emerald Coast. Steve does a great job at putting you at ease and boosting your confidence for the interview and AJ has the power settings and everything for the sim down perfectly. I can't say enough good things about these guys, and I think you would do yourself a huge disservice if you don't spend the money and prepare yourself the best that you can. All 6 in my interview group got the call and 4 or 5 out of 6 got the call in the interview group the day before. So if they call you for an interview, they really do want to hire you. The interview experience was really great. Everyone, from KD to your panel interviewers do everything they can to make you feel comfortable. So if you are still waiting to hear about an interview, just relax (if thats possible). Oh, and for you civilian pilots out there, I was never in the military and don't feel that it was ever an issue. Good Luck!!

T Dub;

Maybe this is a stupid question but what is a "grip and grin" and how do I get one? By the way are you one of my TWA brethren?

Thanks;

Helmsmen

T Dub said:
Hey Guys,

For all of you that are waiting to get the call for an interview, I thought that I would fill you in on how it all happened for me. I had my "Grip and Grin" back in March and was called for an interview on the 9th and 10th of November. One of the guys in our interview group met with the ACP back in December, so don't sweat it if you don't hear something right away. It took almost 5 weeks for me to get the call, but I finally got the call yesterday afternoon for a Jan. 23 class date! When you get the call for your interview, one of the first calls you need to make is to the guys at Emerald Coast. Steve does a great job at putting you at ease and boosting your confidence for the interview and AJ has the power settings and everything for the sim down perfectly. I can't say enough good things about these guys, and I think you would do yourself a huge disservice if you don't spend the money and prepare yourself the best that you can. All 6 in my interview group got the call and 4 or 5 out of 6 got the call in the interview group the day before. So if they call you for an interview, they really do want to hire you. The interview experience was really great. Everyone, from KD to your panel interviewers do everything they can to make you feel comfortable. So if you are still waiting to hear about an interview, just relax (if thats possible). Oh, and for you civilian pilots out there, I was never in the military and don't feel that it was ever an issue. Good Luck!!

T Dub,

Hey, I know you! Sorry I couldn't help you out with that contract trip for you next week.;)

FD

Helmsman--What's the matter? You want to get back to the Mainland? TC

Helmsmen said:
T Dub;

Maybe this is a stupid question but what is a "grip and grin" and how do I get one?
Thanks;

Helmsmen

The "grip and grin" is the meeting with a FedEx ACP (assistant chief pilot). This is set up by your sponsor from FedEx. A sponsor is someone who works at FedEx, and preferably has flown with you, who will vouch for your good character and desire to work for FedEx.

This meeting is an informal one, to find out how you got where you are now in your flying career and why you want to work for FedEx.

Supposedly this meeting is the only way you will get an interview at FedEx. It does not guarantee an interview, but it is the first step in a long process.

Good luck!

fartknocker said:
The "grip and grin" is the meeting with a FedEx ACP (assistant chief pilot). This is set up by your sponsor from FedEx. A sponsor is someone who works at FedEx, and preferably has flown with you, who will vouch for your good character and desire to work for FedEx.

So is it safe to say it's impossible to get anywhere with FedEx without a sponser?

StarChecker said:
So is it safe to say it's impossible to get anywhere with FedEx without a sponser?

Well, it might not be impossible, it just makes it much more difficult without a sponsor. :(

Helmsmen,
The grip and grin is when you meet with the ACP and your sponsor, as fartknocker explained. And yes, I was a Jan 2001 new hire and furloughed October 2001. A very short time , but I flew with some of the best guys and had a great time!

Frac Daddy,
I guess your not a frac daddy any more!! Don't worry about that trip. I've got it covered. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back