• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Walk Through

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...wow. Never heard of such an animal. Pros and cons from anyone who has been there/done that?

It makes sense to me. I mean, I'd rather be a cruise RFO than in the back of the Boeing. And it is hard enough to get your landings in on the MD-11. At least for me! Too many high mins captains out there.

Not sure if the company can just create this position, or if ALPA has to have their say.

This sounds like a REALLY BAD idea to me. Takes a High paying widebody F/O position and creates another effective low paying S/O postion. Good deal RFO pairings will be gone! Also this has the potential for some severe scheduling RFO abuse. It's highly unlikely that a new hire is going to speak up about an onerous pairings, and even more unlikely that anybody else will care to dispute it and do anything about it. It seems to me that this would require a TA between the company and the union.

Huck said:
And they are starting a new-hire RFO program. Like United's "cruise f/o's". New hires will be trained in the MD11 but will not keep landing currency. You heard it here first....
It's been mentioned before, and often. It has been viewed as a low-cost replacement for a type-rated FO, as the pay rate, ostensibly, would be substantially less. It has also been presented as an entry-level job when there are no longer FE positions, i.e., no 727s and DC-10s. Don't hold your breath.

FedEx1 said:
Pay would be less than a regular f/o.
Of course The Company would like that, but...

FedEx1 said:
Not sure if the company can just create this position, or if ALPA has to have their say.
The Company can't just arbitrarily create the position. Given that we are represented by a Collective Bargaining Agent, there is a process, and WE have a voice in that process.

TonyC said:
The Company can't just arbitrarily create the position. Given that we are represented by a Collective Bargaining Agent, there is a process, and WE have a voice in that process.
It will really depend on what the Bankruptcy Judge wants . . . .

Qantas, Cathay Pacific and KLM has cruise relief pilots. As a CRP your not allowed to touch the controls below 10.000' . Wouldn't that suck? just my 2 cents..

It will be especially helpful for the civilan pilots coming from the Regionals to get exposure to flying in the "big iron" for a couple years before being saddled with the responsibilities as a full-blown RFO . . .

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back