• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJones

Rico SWAFO
Herk,

I think that your fortunate to have this opportunity, a choice between FedEx and Southwest, cool. However, I must say that after flying night freight for almost 15 years I'm sick of the life style one gets wrapped up in...making every attempt to keep the room as dark as possible, poeple waking you up when your desperate to get sleep, it's hard, plus I'm in the pool at Southwest and have wanted Southwest for many years.

With that said I think you need to take a look at what FedEx or SWA can do for you in the long run...what will your retirement look like, the hard facts kind of stuff. Look at your options and weight them carefully.

(jetpltrich)

Thanks for your viewpoint!

RJones:
Thanks for your perspective on the day versus night flying lifestyle. Since I don't know anyone who has flown freight for an extended period of time such as yourself, your long term viewpoint is greatly appreciated.
I keep on hearing that FEDEX is flying more day sorties with the postal contract but I'm sure that those will be flown by the senior line holders. I haven't done much research into the circadian rhythm changes and how that affects our long term health.
Sounds like you recommend the day time PAX flying lifestyle with SWA.

HERKDriver

My .02---I have flown passengers and cargo at NWA and I personally prefer the cargo skeds at NWA. Out of ANC, you can expect to take off 9am-1pm, fly for 8 hours, spend 24-36 hours on the ground and then either fly back (stateside a 1am show usually) or fly around the orient for awhile. I don't know what the fedex skeds are like, but I know they have an ANC base too. But it must be a hard decision to make because of the 2 majors you couldn't get anymore opposite on flight operations lifestyle or compensation.

Eitherway, know that you will make the right decision for you and never look back. Best of luck

The FedEx scheds out of ANC are similar to NWA -- spent a lot of time chatting with NWA guys on layovers!

Latest resources

Back