• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx updates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thats why the crewroom looks like a navy squadron.

4760 pilots
250 pilots helped

5% civilian.

Nope--that's just since 2002. In other words, the junior blocks are a much wider mix of mil/civ.

Why the chip on your shoulder? Did some military guy say or do something terrible to you or your wife? If you are so happy where you are, why do you care what FDX does or does not do?

I have spent the last five years having a ball meeting and working with pilots from all walks of life. I've met some great people with a wide range of backgrounds, and made a lot of friends along the way.

You seem hellbent on being antagonistic towards military pilots (comments on MOA ops, the FDX dead horse, etc) and it really makes me wonder what drives your angst.

If you really wanted to be a military pilot and couldn't--there are lots of folks who missed the boat due to timing, health issues, or just bad luck. Getting a pilot slot, through training, and into the force requires a good bit of work, but luck and timing are certainly there too. I doubt there is a single F15/F16 driver out there who won't say he was a checkride away from a completely different outcome.

If someone was nasty to your wife--all I can say is @ssholes come from all walks of life. I chaffed last month in recurrent when a great guy, a former Exp Jet guy, was my S/O and the former AF KC135 guy told him that military guys were more standard than regional guys... I pulled the SO aside later, and said that a guy who flys 4 days with 6 different folks in a bid period probably has more need to be standard than a 135 guy with a hard crew who has flown with him every day the last six months, and I reminded him that not ALL military guys would say such a douchbag comment. My own observation is the guys who went the farthest in their careers usually are the most respectful towards others, while those who left with "something to prove..." tended to be the ones who try to brag or puff up their own credentials.

Bottom line is I don't really care what makes you tick, but the info you put out about FDX hiring ratios to discourage regional guys is just flat out wrong. I dont' know if you are joking, or if its sour grapes, or if you are just misinformed--but that kind of misinformation can be both detrimental and discouraging to a lot of good pilots who want to try to work fo rFDX. So if there ARE some other folks out there interested in FDX, click on the link below and chat with me if you want to know more. Odds are I've got some names of folks from your regional airline that can chat with you and give you a realistic picture of what life is like at FDX and what you can do to get hired when we eventually start hiring again. I hope its soon--but 2-3 years is probably realistic.

My own observation is the guys who went the farthest in their careers usually are the most respectful towards others, while those who left with "something to prove..." tended to be the ones who try to brag or puff up their own credentials.

I've seen the exact opposite.

No...I've watched my former F22 pilot/OG quitely go about his business, along with a Mig Killer who is a board regular here who will not even mention it to anyone or on the boards....or a whole group of Eglin CCs and DOs who come to work and seem to get along with about everyone.

My data points are my data points--yours may be different. But most of the guys I know who were very successful in one career are enjoying being at FedEx and not having the whole weight of the squadron/wing/OG on their shoulders.

I also look around at FDX and see several of my old wpns officers, OGs, and leadership from AK. Every single one of them is a great guy--and yet we don't feel the need to get together and shoot our watches. Everyone seems pretty content in their new lives..

Again...maybe you know some ******************************bags. Certainly won't say they aren't out there. My experience, however, is a lot of the BEST fighter guys I knew would not even tell you they flew fighters unless you asked them. They might, however, ask about your golf handicap...

Mil vs. Civ - Fight on!

I have found that civilian guys are more civil, and military guys are more militant.

There are tools everywhere. Just ignore them, and hope they go away. If not, try to get into an argument with them.

I have found that civilian guys are more civil, and military guys are more militant.

Well, I don't know about civvies being more civil, but I DO know that I've been told I'm militant!

Militantly yours,

WM

I was hired in the last class at FedEx over a year ago. The breakdown was 8 total. 5 civilian, 2 military and 1 internal hire (sim instructor who was ex-military).
That's the fact. Let the arguments continue for the next five years until hiring starts again and it matters.

You guys have any guess on which, if any, seats will see some displacement backward??? I know there's a practice bid in a few days but the rumors are always entertaining (and occasionally true)!!!

This thread started as a simple update on what is up at FedEx and degenerated to banter about pilot background. Some real professionals here. Flown with them all some good, some better.

DARN!

I just wasted $6,000.00 to change my name from "Andersen" to "Rodriguez" so I could get hired, now the doors are closed.

DARN!

Should have spent it on implants. A lot more fun.

Latest resources

Back