• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fedex threatens to cancel Boeing orders

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unionization is the bad manager's cry for why he can't do his job..."The union won't let me."

Must be nice to always blame others. What are you doing to make management successful? Better yet why are you not in management effecting change for the workers?

What is being compared is the system that created and sustained slavery then, and what seems to be managements only way of dealing with costs today, to drive labor costs down and then live in a palace. They'll only be satisfied with zero labor costs and membership in the billionaire club. And THAT is sickening.

Slavery was a sustained and brutal atrocity against a class of people. It was driven by the addiction to the cost advantage it provided. Even after the Civil War, Jim Crow continued the abomination of racism right into our lifetimes.

The affects of it aren't something that was long ago and far away. They are here and now. The cheap labor this provided was so purvasive and complete--from the first settlements to the founding of our country to segragation--that it is now part of American corporate DNA. Corporate American just can't seem to shake the idea that lower labor costs are the answers to all their problems and their ticket to American royalty.

It is pretty evident that laws designed to protect the worker's contract, benefits, pension, haven't been worth the paper they were printed on. Unions are just about the last thing left which has some hope of holding the degradation of the American worker in check. Why do you think corporate America is pulling out all the stops to prevent unionization? "If you pass this bill I won't buy 30 777s and 100,000 people will lose their jobs. Why? Because I said so." Talk about one man's outsized view of himself! He'll put thousands of workers on the street because he wants it all. Nothing more than blackmail.[/QUOTE

liberal arts college, right? capitalists bad communist good!!! he who makes more than I do shall be burned at the stake or shot with golden bullets...? praise be to akers?

liberal arts college, right? capitalists bad communist good!!! he who makes more than I do shall be burned at the stake or shot with golden bullets...? praise be to akers?

No, actually. Service academy and 20 years active duty. There I was spoiled by an equitable pay system in which you knew that tomorrow your pay would be the same as it was today. Not a system in which some new management trick could take it away. What will it be today? Bankruptcy to nullify contracts, underfund the pension, take away hours worked for an illness?

"Capitalist or communist?" Are those your only two choices? Absolutely pure unfettered capitalism was a great success materially. It made us the richest nation on earth. Unfortunately, it was a moral failure when 20 million or so lost their freedom and their lives to make this happen.

Think you're a pure capitalist? Next time the fire department puts out a fire in your neighborhood, you're not. You've put your hard earned money into the common welfare, sometimes against your will when there is a tax or levy you voted against, but it still passed, and you still pay.

This just in....contractually guaranteed compenstion:

Calipari: $31.65 million
College Basketball Player: $0

As I said, it's in our DNA.

Do you guys realize you will be giving up your right to a secret ballot? Do you realize how easy it will be to form a union, and how easy it will be for employees to coerce other employees to sign up even if they don't want to?
Soon we will have unions at the local grocery store, gas stations, and Pizza Hut. Say goodbye to low prices when you're paying a gas station attendant $20/hour.

Also, do you know that if the new "union" and management cannot settle on a contract the Federal Government steps in and arbitrates the terms??
Come on people think for yourselves for once!!!!!!

Must be nice to always blame others. What are you doing to make management successful? Better yet why are you not in management effecting change for the workers?

My sense of honor, penchant for ethics, and unwillingness to victimize people for personal gain.

Seriously, the number of truly competent high-level aviation managers in the U.S. can comfortably go out to dinner together.

Bob Crandall, Fred Smith, Herb and maybe Gordon Bethune.

I provided a number of ideas, concepts and proposals during my time various certificate holders. A few were acted upon, others, not so much.

After seven years, I came to the conclusion that the American Airline Industry was going the way of the American Maritime Industry, due in no small part to short-sighted management policies.

Latest resources

Back