FedEx rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose17

Well, I normally don't like to quote people second hand, but here I go...

The FO I was with tonight flew with our Chief of Safety the other night. The Chief said that we can expect a seat bid around October.

There you have it. A big fat juicy rumor.

Goose17

I heard it too. We're getting more 'busses.

I also asked a supervisor on the ramp why they were removing the old fixed loaders in the courtyard, and she said it was to accomodate airbusses....

Awesome rumor! If we so have a bid, maybe its to clean out the "extras" in the back of the ten... I've heard that were overmanned in that area because of the over 60 crowd going to the back...

The board has been quiet for awhile about FedEx... Has anyone heard anything on how the UPS contract is going??? Just wondering....
Take Care,
Murdawg5

Please, Lord, in the name of all that does not suck, make this rumor (1) true, and (2) a good thing for those of us waterlogged poolies!

Seriously, anyone got any insight on how this will affect folks trying to get on the property?

In a perfect world, FedEx will have a bid then hire out of the pool (and maybe the street?) to fill the secondaries.

That said--I've only seen two bids here, and I'm very much a new guy without a lot of perspective. Profile lurks the boards every once and a while--maybe he can share some experience and insight. He's an MD11 Captain and has seen the act for quite a while...

Mil leave guys are another wrinkle. I will be very scarce for a while in Memphis as my squadron is at a slightly undermanned point in the sine wave, and that means plenty of sorties available for now and they are begging for help. It seems to me that a lot of guys in my boat are also pretty active in their respective units. Its no secret that O-4 or O-5 pay in the ANG is comparable to year 2 or 3 Second Officer pay, so unless you are trying to max out your B fund or just really enjoy the airline lifestyle, a lot of guys (like me) spend a lot of time off the line and flying in the ANG.

Now...even if I were to upgrade to the right seat of the A300, I probably wouldn't cut back much at the ANG. A variety of factors such as proficiency and being home at night with family wiegh into this, and I'm blessed to be in a unit that doesn't deploy very much. However, some ANG units (particulary airlift) have worn guys out the last few years. It is possible if one of these SOs on mil leave upgraded to FO, he/she might just come back to the company and do a lot more flying. That, of course, would reduce the number of poolies/new hires required.

Again...this is all speculation from a part time SO/part time fighter pilot. T38 dude, Goose17, and a bunch of others work a cross section of military jobs--their perspective might be more insightful.

However...I certainly echo the prayer for the bid. If you upgrade to another seat...life is good. If you don't but get more senior and can hold that line you've craved...good. And getting new blood in the company and off the street would be exciting and a nice bit of good news for a change!

I too have heard the rumors of a seat bid in OCT or NOV. However what I heard was to take a look at the MD 11 training letter and you should be able to figure out when the bid will be. The last guys slated to go to class are scheduled for Jan and early Feb. Fedex is short staffed on the Mad Dog and they will need a bid about Oct or Nov to keep the MD 11 pipeline full. The real question is : Will this be a re-alignment bid (they claim they are over staffed in the 10) or will there be some growth? The last bid was a re-alignment bid and they have not started a new hire class in 9 months now. Hopefully there will be some upward movement with this bid!

SF3CA

Growth?

I don't know about any growth right now, but I do know that I dropped another 7 spots on the bid list for September. So folks are either coming back from call-ups or the retiring Captains are continuing to flood the back seat of the Boeing. Only one additional S/O underneath me jumped off the bid list for reserve duty (or call up) this month so that isn't too bad, but the current trend appears to be downhill. Moving backward at double time.

I know that is not good news for the poolies (or me) but I'm not sure if the seat bid will spur any new hiring just yet. I would like to think so, but I'm not too optimistic. I have also had a heck of a time trying to drop R days this month so the company must be running lean as we ramp up for the contract negotitations.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will pick up, but I'm afraid it could be a while before the lifeguard yells "everybody out!"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back