FedEx Rhumormill

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kav

So there I was... jumpseating today MEM - LAX. Another pilot shows up to jumpseat and mentions he just heard from some pretty reliable management sources that come 10 March, a bid will be announced accomodating new slots for 120 Mad Dog Captains.

...Now I'm about as new as they come to FedEx, but the Captain on the flight I was jumpseating on said that was quite a large bid. Of course, when those positions are filled, other more junior guys will have to move to fill those positions, and I'm guessing more will need to be hired to fill the lower positions.

To add to the rhumor mill glitz... I do know that 35 SO's (+ or - a couple) are on mil leave orders for at least a year, with another 15 - 20 on mil leave of 1 - 3 months. That's only in the 727 SO world, so that's the low end of the numbers.

OK... I've thrown it out on the table...feel free to chop away. I'm just going to sit back quietly now until the 10th and see what happens.

Kav

I was in the MEM HUB tonight and heard exactly the same thing from several people. Rumor has been floating around for months about the Bid but just this week the same date and numbers have been popping up a lot. I also heard that the hiring office made some phone calls to guys in the pool yesterday to inquire about availibility (another thread). Sounds like the wheels may be turning!

120 Mad Dog captains? That wouldn't be a big bid, that would be a HUGE bid! We'll see what happens though.

March?

Thanks for the info guys. I'm in the pool and am waiting patiently. There has been a lot of buz for good things in march.

Good news but......

Don't forget, that many of the MD slots come as a result of DC10 to MD 10 conversion, and 727-100 retirements. 3 place to 2 place cockpits.

They are extremly short in all MD seats, yet significantly fat in others like the right seat of the airbus and 727.

The S/Os on reserve in both the 10 and 727 have seen a significant increase in useage. I believe this is due to mil call ups.

I would expect to classes begin April, but it is my guess, that they will not hire more than 100 to 150 that the company had projected. Hopefuly it will be more.

Hey FedEx Guys??

Would you guys happen to know why we (UPS) are flying a USPS contract from Ontario, CA. to Honolulu? We have daily flights now?

Not sure if we subcontracted an L1011 or if we're using one of our 747's.

Any insight?

what kinda mail?

Would that be regular mail or priority mail (which I believe we have the sole contract for)?

Goose17

Mail Speculation

My W.A.G.:

Might that be considered international?? I know Hawaii is a state, but maybe the way the contract is written...(?)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back