Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SOFHercDude

Not stop loss again !!
The folks at "AirInc" just put out an email announcing that FedEx will be "recruiting" at the next job fair in DC in October.

The general line of thought in the latest posts here seems to say that maybe the pool is deep enough at FDX due to military guys coming back on line and the seasonal slowdown in classes.

Any thoughts on whether its worth going to DC specifically to get a toe in the door for FDX?

(and if at all possible leave out the traditional lambasting of AirInc and Kit Darby -- we've all heard it before !!)

Thanks

SOFHercDude,

Well, I don't think you can ever go wrong to go to one of those things and network a bit, and try to see the FedEx folks. However, they are the only major hiring, so you will probably be in company with 1000 of your best friends dressed in dark blue suits and red ties.

However, even if you don't want to hear it, that email sounds like more AirInc propaganda. Last I heard, the hiring folks had more applications than they could handle.

I guess my point is, if it doesn't strap you, put on your suit and go start standing in line. If you are going to miss work and have to pay for airline tickets and hotel rooms, your efforts would probably be better spent else where.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think the fact that they do have more apps than they can handle is THE reason for going to the conference and handing your resume to the FedEx HR folks. If you want an interview with FedEx in this climate, you need to do everything you can to get your app one step closer to the top of the pile.

I will tell you that when I got an interview 18 months ago, everyone was hiring, but... I didnt have any references at FedEx, didnt know a soul... all I did was hand my resume to Bev Hyter at a conference. So IMHO they do put some weight on who is motivated enough to show up for the "grip n grin"

From pilot.fedex.com:
Announcements:
We are not currently accepting pilot Profile Forms. However, if you have already submitted a profile, please keep the information updated to ensure we have the most accurate data on file.

Bottom Line: If you got your profile in before they shut it down, the Job Fair could pay off big for you. If you don't have a profile already in the system, the job fair won't help.

Also: If you don't have recommendations on file from FedEx pilots, the Job Fair contact can be valuable (from personal experience). If you already have good contacts the Job Fair may be of considerably less value.

Keep updating your online profile. They will not charge you another $50 unless you let it go over a year with no updates.

However, they are the only major hiring, so you will probably be in company with 1000 of your best friends dressed in dark blue suits and red ties

VaB,

FYI...Fedex is not the only major hiring. Alaska is hiring . SWA is on the fence for future classes.

How many "last minute" cancellations does Air Inc receive from companies? I seem to recall reading here that the last Job Fair had a bunch of companies cancel. I guess there is no way of knowing who will actually be there, and which companies are used for “recruiting.” I’m not going. (But then again, maybe that’s why my job search is taking so long.)

Latest resources

Back