Fedex Newhire Commute

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fishalaska

Does anyone have inputs on which medium to large cities are the easiest to commute to Memphis for purple 727 reserve with zero seniority? Is Boston or anything in the Northeast on your list?

fishalaska said:
Does anyone have inputs on which medium to large cities are the easiest to commute to Memphis for purple 727 reserve with zero seniority? Is Boston or anything in the Northeast on your list?

Any city with service from NWA or Pinnacle seems to be OK. Any FedEx city with more than one 727 is OK. One 727 is OK as well if there does not happen to be many FedEx guys who live there (ie Huntington WV for example); not good around a AF or Navy installation though (lots of competition).

Boston doesn't seem to be a problem. Philly OK: EWR, JFK OK.

BTW... Seniority for a FedEx jumpseat doesn't matter -- it's when you sign up, first come, first served.

Gotta agree with MalteseX. You can "stage" from anywhere within 100 miles of your home. Staging gives you priority (he says while trying not to laugh) on the jump seat. I think staging priority is listed somewhere around 16 or 17 out of 20 on the priority list in the FOM.

I've been doing it out of MHT & BOS for years. Only a VERY few times have I had to change airports or make other arrangements.

Boxav8r said:
Gotta agree with MalteseX. You can "stage" from anywhere within 100 miles of your home. Staging gives you priority (he says while trying not to laugh) on the jump seat. I think staging priority is listed somewhere around 16 or 17 out of 20 on the priority list in the FOM.

I've been doing it out of MHT & BOS for years. Only a VERY few times have I had to change airports or make other arrangements.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like it is not super difficult to live in New England and fly out of Memphis. I assume most large cities are similar.

Fish

Since you're a low priority are you offered any protection if you don't make your showtime due to being bumped, or does everyone just keep a hip pocket plan to buy a comm'l ticket, or commute with another way to get there?

I'm great at run-on sentences!

You are protected if you on a FedEx Jumpseat going to a TRIP. Not protected if you are on another airline, Or commuting to reserve.

You can reserve the Fedex Jumpseat up to two weeks in advance, and are locked in I think 3 days from departure, meaning no one with a higher priority can bump you. There's also bigtime penalties if you no show a jumpseat.

But I don't commute, so I am sure some commuters will chime in with the real story.

Last edited:
HoursHore said:
You are protected if you on a FedEx Jumpseat going to a TRIP. Not protected if you are on another airline, Or commuting to reserve.

You can reserve the Fedex Jumpseat up to two weeks in advance, and are locked in I think 3 days from departure, meaning no one with a higher priority can bump you. There's also bigtime penalties if you no show a jumpseat.

But I don't commute, so I am sure some commuters will chime in with the real story.

I intend never to no show. Bad Form.

Fish

Nice Bogie

Beaker said:
Since you're a low priority are you offered any protection if you don't make your showtime due to being bumped, or does everyone just keep a hip pocket plan to buy a comm'l ticket, or commute with another way to get there?

I'm great at run-on sentences!

Dude, nice bogie. Been there, done that.

Hag

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back