• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEX likes SUPER-JUMBO EGGS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The reason the Airbus went into the trees was that the crew had cut the autopilot offline and were trying to show that the plane could fly slowly. Slower than the computer recommended and well, we saw what happened. I've flown a good bit on A320's and A340's and there is always something amiss. The last A340 flight I was on the computer flushed the toilet over and over again until the aisle was flooded and still wasn't satisfied. Both the captain and fo came back (at different times) and surveyed the situation and the fo finally got it to stop. The funny thing is that no one seemed to have a clue. There walking in water up to the door (I happened to have the seat with my back on the lav) and opening the door, water is pouring out and they go on in. Not interested in going to one of the other 8 or so lavs I guess. To much computer control can be an issue. Sometimes it gets stinky!

RT

flydog said:
Dude do you really know what your are talking about?

And I cant wait to see the payscale for that SOB

And with the way that this industry and management is going, my bet is that the A380 will be flown by regional pilots, making 65K and willing to pimp their own grandmother to get their hands on that pretty new jet.

Flame away, I'm on the regional, no commuter, level myself.

Re: Pimp

SpeedRacer said:
So what's the going rate for your grandmother??

And is that a turboprop grannie or a "RJ" grannie????:p

I can tell that you have never flown regional. A turboprop is only worthy of pimping your sister. It is only when you are offered an RJ seat are you required to pimp out granny. These are those little details of the industry that the military hides from you :)

The A320 is an amazing airplane. I had a real fondness for Boeing hardware with over 3000 hours flying the big cables and pulleys. I had some reservations about flying a fly-by-wire jet until I learned how well it was designed. The bottom line is that it will protect pilots from their own stupidity and almost all of the things that cause accidents. When we are sometimes flailing in the sim, one of our senior check airmen is fond of telling us, "No A320 has ever crashed with the autopilot on." Something to think about...

BTW, I think flying the A380 would be awesome. As advanced as the A320 is in the airliner world, it is already old technology. I'm sure the A380 will be a marvel to fly from inside the cockpit or the cabin.

Can it fly in the USA?

Someone at Boston Logan said that its wingspan is too big for its taxiways.

LHR is having to undergo millions of dollars of rennovations to be able to handle it at the gate.

Who will foot the bill when it comes to US airport rennovations. The taxpayer or the customers?

Yeti said:

Actually I read the Sonic Cruiser, travelling in the neighborhood of .98, is going to shave at least an hour off of every 3,000 miles flown when compared to the rivals in the .83 to .84 range. And it's said to be able to do that with little or no premium over standard ticket prices. I think a lot of business travellers would jump at that.

Actually from what I have been reading lately, Sonic Cruiser might very well not happen. You are hearing a lot less about it from Boeing. I would love to see it happen, but I think Boeing has placed it on the backburner somewhat right now

414Flyer said:

Actually from what I have been reading lately, Sonic Cruiser might very well not happen. You are hearing a lot less about it from Boeing. I would love to see it happen, but I think Boeing has placed it on the backburner somewhat right now

Yeah, I read something similar recently in the Seattle Times. Apparently the development of the Sonic Cruiser (Boeing "808"?) is still moving ahead at Boeing, but they did mention whether it gets built or not is still a big question in light of the current industry unpleasantness.

I hope it happens too. It seems Boeing is really onto something here with their bets on this aircraft: One that can haul a medium amount of people super long-distance, 15-20% faster than conventional airliners, with little or no fare premium (thanks to the aerodynamic design advances in CFD) and point-to-point. As opposed to the Airbus 380 strategy of moving people long distances in a more conventional aircraft as a massive hub-feeder.

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_comm.jsp?view=story&id=news/aw080538.xml

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back