• Watchers 3

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

350DRIVER

I flew a trip this morning into (SWF) and noticed the Fed Ex aircraft that caught fire inflight a few years ago and was curious if any Fed Ex drivers can explain what had happened.?

It appears the aircraft has been abandoned and when I spoke to the line service people they had no clue other than it happened quite afew years ago and the FAA was just in for some inspection.?- couldn't provide any other info-

quite a sight to see - - -

C H E E R S

3 5 0

no joy searching NTSB files- thx ahead of time

Crispy Critter

That thing is ugly huh? From what I remember, that DC10 was enroute... I think to Boston, had a cargo fire, and made an emergency landing at SWF. To the best of my knowledge, everyone escaped, although the plane burned on the runway. I'm pretty sure it happened back in September of 1996. I've always wondered why it's still sitting there.
RR

Yeah- a bit out of place there and badly damaged- I guess Fed Ex as well as the FAA has been there recently for reasons unknown to the line crew.......- Very interesting to see that big bird there though-

C H E E R S

3 5 0

any website that has the story??

Yup! That sure is the FedEx MD11 that made an emergency landing into SWF while enroute to Boston from Memphis. It landed at like 6:30 AM into SWF while making a rapid decent from FL330. Rumor has it that the pilots were going to continue on to Albany to make the emergency landing, which would have been disastrous! Thank god they chose SWF. Good job by the crew getting it down.

I thought I remember hearing not too long ago that this particular flight had some sort of really serious and valuable cargo on board perhaps something to do with gold or diamonds or boullions or something way out of the ordinary. The wreckage may be under the jurisidiction of a higer governmental authority.

The crew diverted to the nearest airport as soon as they knew the situation they were in, the fire started from a piece of equipment but the shipper of that sued to prevent themselves being held responsible. The ongoing litigation is a possible reason for folks going out to look at it, or it could just be for training purposes, etc.

profile-
What was the type of "equipment" that you mentioned in your response that was the probable cause and what is Fed Ex going to do with regards to the aircraft.?- Leave it there or transport it out.?? -

C H E E R S

3 5 0

The equipment was some sort of medical device, as I recall, could be mistaken, but the court documents are likely public record somewhere. I didn't work this accident, so I don't know all the details, did read the report but it's been a while, but I also knew the inside story of the event.

As to the what's left of that DC-10, I would imagine the insurance company owns it now, so it's up to them.

Latest resources

Back