• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

fedex in iraq accident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, it was a contractor to FedEx, flying an old Soviet AN-12 from TQ (Al Taqaedum). Most of the crews are from the former Soviet states, making next to nothing wages.

Actually, it was a contractor to FedEx, flying an old Soviet AN-12 from TQ (Al Taqaedum). Most of the crews are from the former Soviet states, making next to nothing wages.

Unlike Most US Regionals?

100-1/2

Being shot at keeps you from falling asleep....

What does what they make have to do with it?

Eah, its quietened down a bunch over there.

Doesn't matter how little you pay someone is always willing to do it.

That's one way of keeping replacement costs low.

The big deal is those are jobs that SHOULD be flown by US pilots, but the US insurance industry will not insure N registered airplanes for landings in Iraq.

The former Soviet State companies call thenselves "self insured" to get the US contracts there. They are so well self insured (not) that they just leave hulls laying around all over the country, even if they just break down. I saw an IL-76 break-down and it was still sitting in the same spot when I left country.

Plenty of crashes by these folks, and not because they were shot down. Mostly equipment and pilot error.

And to answer your next question; I wouldn't have a problem flying a civilian contract in Iraq, but I wouldn't do it for peanuts.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back