• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Hiring News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay, okay...thanks for the compliments but here are some facts.

Emerald Coast has helped over a 400 people successfully get hired in the last 3 years. The majority of our business has been JetBlue and Southwest, but we've also helped at UPS, Continental, AirTran, FedEx, Frontier, ATA (now furloughees), Netjets, Pinnacle, and several other places. We have also helped UPT candidates on ANG/Reserve boards.

There is no "Albie magic"--it takes the work of the client to be successful. In fact, every one of our clients would say it was d@mn hard work on their part. It also isn't just me--we have a whole staff of folks who each bring ideas and suggestions on ways to improve our results. Our team helps folks communicate more effectively--period. We get our training program from our entire staff's unique experiences and backgrounds. Tonight my wife was Mrs. Florida in the Mrs International competition in Chicago. I have no idea if she'll win, but we find out tomorrow if she makes the finals as she competes with 47 other gals. A LOT of Emerald Coast's techniques and ideas come from her 20+ years in a variety of beauty pageants. Only 1 will win tomorrow, which makes for tough odds. However, if you interview at SWA where they have a 40-50% success rate a lot of the same techniques these gals use can become very helpful as you try to stand out from out the competition. Steve & Alison are also on my team--and they have bought and sold quite a few businesses and done a lot of sales and marketing. What are you doing in your interview? You are selling and marketing yourself! Much of our success comes from them, and if you've worked with them in Charlotte you've seen how effective they are. Steve was also a corporate guy and an FAA GV examiner--so much of our ability to help and relate to our corporate clients comes from his experience. Finally, Mark and John round out our team with tons of experience in not only fighters (like me) but also in the airlift world. John is also at relatively successful Texas based airline, so he brings some perspective from another company. Sons of very successful Air Force officers (one an F16 Squadron commander, the other a Test Pilot and Squadron commander), they share a lot of perspective on the military life and have been helpful in relating to those guys retiring and moving on to a second career. What is my point--I'm the director in a really cool orchestra, but I can't play a note without some talent around me.

Why the sim? I had some clients who were great communicators but rusty flyers. They didn't get the chance to show off their skills. So a while back we approched Pan Am and some other companies and asked for a way to facilitate training for those folks needing work on their basic instrument scan. I've never even set foot in their sim, but I asked for a solid instructor or two and a guarantee that the sim would made available for our clients (i.e...no last minute cancellations because airline X wanted 10 extra hours, etc). Individuals could never have this kind of influence, but because we buy large chunks of sim time we have the flexibility. I chose not to dignify a previous comment about one of the instructors with a response, as I (correctly) figured that one of the many satisfied clients would offer a different perspective. If your session was interupted by a call...I apologize. More than likely it was me calling asking for stupid information...

Not to sound like an infomercial--but here is the summary...

Ain't no magic to getting hired. You gotta learn to talk...and it takes work.

Clients have to work as hard (or harder) than I do to be successful...

I am blessed to have such great people to work with.

Last edited:
Albie,
A lot of thanks to you for your help the last few months. I went 2-0 last month with my interviews. So make that over 402 satisfied customers. Mrs. Albie was great too. Best of luck to her in Chi-town. I know she'll do awesome.

This is NOT a paid advertisement.
Gremlin

skyward80 said:
Could anybody in the know give us a break down of the most recent set of new hires?

The class that started on 11 July had 16 guys in it. Three straight military (F/A-18 and 2 C-130), five straight civilian, and the rest a mix of civ/mil. Even two marines. The military guys were a mix of heavy/fighter, probably about fifty/fifty. Half the guys were from other airlines, to include United, American, and NWA. One guy wasn't even furloughed yet. The youngest was 30, the oldest 48. All really great guys/girl. The experience levels were mixed but nothing really out of the ordinary. Obviously, the older guys have more time than the younger ones. Some of the guys still have guard/reserve jobs and some are retired from it. Hope this helps.

Training dept says they'll hire 400/yr until 2009. That's a mix of expanded pilot positions and replacing retirees. There's also been a new email sent out regarding "sponsor visits" and how to conduct the grip and grin and what sponsors and sponsorees can expect from the process. I'm sure the details will be on flight info real soon.

T-Gates said:
AJ Jassal!!?? He was the biggest embarassment of a sim instructor I ever had!

Did he talk on his cellphone the whole time you were in the simulator? Or did he ever bring his girlfriend along for a ride?

That guy was a grade-A joke!

I've know AJ for 15 years and he is a stand up guy. He takes time from his other full time job to help you guys out. No one that he has worked with has failed the interview sim ride at FedEx and he has done a bunch. I think that record speaks for itself. So you have to ask yourself, do you want a job or a great instructor. He is there for familiarization not instruction. Maybe you were doing so well he thought he could make a call and you not crash. As for a girlfriend he is married with kids and I don't think he has one.
Anyway I've recommended him to a lot of folks and so far all have passed the interview sim ride. I just couldn't sit by and listen to the sour grapes.

FedEx A300 Capt.

I don't think the guy who slammed him (T-gates) was talking about experience with sim prep, but rather an experience he had with him in his "other" job. I may be wrong. The other experience (Dually) has already been debriefed.

To correct the reocord, we have had a couple sim failures out of a huge number, lbut less than 2%. In one case, the guy did a prep at 4 am day of interview--likely pretty darned fatigued. There have also been a couple cases of "nerves"...sometimes guys go into box and just freeze. The whole idea of prep is to not only teach you to fly, but to PROVE to yourself you can in fact do it successfully under pressure.

AJ is one part of the team, but not the only IP we can use. We have stuck with him because he is very effective and the clients that use him get hired. If you really have a problem with him then we can use another IP and/or another facilty. However, almost every time our clients insist on "the guy with that great record..."

As for us--if anyone has a problem with anyone on our team I want to know ASAP and it will be addressed. So far, our success rate has been very high and everyone seems satisfied. If that isn't the case then I certainly would want to know.

MemTrash said:
I've know AJ for 15 years and he is a stand up guy. He takes time from his other full time job to help you guys out. No one that he has worked with has failed the interview sim ride at FedEx and he has done a bunch. I think that record speaks for itself. So you have to ask yourself, do you want a job or a great instructor. He is there for familiarization not instruction. Maybe you were doing so well he thought he could make a call and you not crash. As for a girlfriend he is married with kids and I don't think he has one.
Anyway I've recommended him to a lot of folks and so far all have passed the interview sim ride. I just couldn't sit by and listen to the sour grapes.

FedEx A300 Capt.

I agree with you completely ! AJ is happily married to a beautiful woman and some guys get jealous !!

DC 10 Capt

Cheesy story - stand by...

My dad was recently in San Diego and met a FedEx pilot at his hotel who just retired about 6 months ago. He was on vacation (with much younger wife and 5 year old boy whose named started with Z) and he and my father chatted it up. He said he had been doing the hiring at Purple for the last 5 years before his retirement. Said he was last on the MD11 (?) - pops can't remeber his name, but he (Purple guy) did get one of my fathers cards. Dad desribed him as being pretty buff - who might this gentleman be?

PUKE

AlbieF15 said:
I don't think the guy who slammed him (T-gates) was talking about experience with sim prep, but rather an experience he had with him in his "other" job. I may be wrong. The other experience (Dually) has already been debriefed.
To correct the reocord, we have had a couple sim failures out of a huge number, lbut less than 2%. In one case, the guy did a prep at 4 am day of interview--likely pretty darned fatigued. There have also been a couple cases of "nerves"...sometimes guys go into box and just freeze. The whole idea of prep is to not only teach you to fly, but to PROVE to yourself you can in fact do it successfully under pressure.

AJ is one part of the team, but not the only IP we can use. We have stuck with him because he is very effective and the clients that use him get hired. If you really have a problem with him then we can use another IP and/or another facilty. However, almost every time our clients insist on "the guy with that great
record..."

AJ is a professional and well respected man at "both" of his jobs. I have friends working with him and everyone speaks highly of him. So, please, Albie, don't even try to instigate anything further.
Consider yourself very fortunate to have a gem of a guy like AJ in your team. His record, pass rate and quality of instruction speaks for itself. I have recommended him to several pilots and each one of them only have good things to say about him and all these guys are now FedEx pilots.
By the way, if anyone saw his wife, they'll say "he's one lucky man" ! When things are going good for someone, there's always few of those individuals who may be green with envy, professionally or otherwise.

AlbieF15 said:

AJ is one part of the team, but not the only IP we can use. We have stuck with him because he is very effective and the clients that use him get hired. If you really have a problem with him then we can use another IP and/or another facilty. However, almost every time our clients insist on "the guy with that great
record..."

Latest resources

Back