• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FEDEX Hard Landing in MEM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FedEx's safety record speaks for itself, I personally believe the hiring department and training should share the blame.

Obviously, something in the corporate culture is allowing these things to occur. I don't work there, but other organizations fly similar equipment, and still other organizations fly in as demanding conditions, and don't bend metal like FEDEX does.

I hope the crew makes a speedy recovery.

Hey AceCrackshot,

I bet you have your application on file at FedEx, don't you? Make sure you tell them in your M&G that you know how to fix things once you get on property.

Hey Malter, I've been around here over five years and I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. I'm certainly not perfect by any standards and flying around the world at night is very demanding at times but I knew what I was getting into because thats what I signed up for.

twgordy said:
Hey Malter, I've been around here over five years and I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. I'm certainly not perfect by any standards and flying around the world at night is very demanding at times but I knew what I was getting into because thats what I signed up for.
Please clarify....I'm not sure where you're going with this one.

Hey AceCrackshot,

I bet you have your application on file at FedEx, don't you? Make sure you tell them in your M&G that you know how to fix things once you get on property

Excellent response, Malter1.

One, I don't have the minimums for FedEx, so I don't have an application there.

Two, my company had two crew caused overruns. But my company is actually trying to fix itself. Both were stupid.

Three, if asked, I would tell them. My integrity isn't for sale. I would explain, that, in my humble and inexperienced opinion, a rash of accidents from the OM inbound suggest a few things to me. One, the hiring should reflect people that have high cycle experience (fighters, regional, fractional) over heavy time. Two, go-arounds are an option. All the time. These accidents are the result, IMHO, of people salvaging bad approaches. So instead we get to salvage the airplane.

Four, FEDEX has a Safety Issue. I'd deal with it. More Aggressively, Now.

You have good taste in movies, though.

rayford steele said:

Well, then this should too:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/Response2.asp?spage=1&x_page_size=10&sql=Y&p1=1%2F1%2F2001&p2=7%2F28%2F2006&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=&p7=&p8=&p9=&p10=&p11=&p12=southwest&p13=&p14=&p15=&p16=ev%5Fdate&p17=Desc&p18=&p19=&p20=&p21=&p22=&p23=&p24=

and this:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/Response2.asp?spage=1&x_page_size=10&sql=Y&p1=1%2F1%2F2001&p2=7%2F28%2F2006&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=&p7=&p8=&p9=&p10=&p11=&p12=united+air+lines&p13=&p14=&p15=&p16=ev%5Fdate&p17=Desc&p18=&p19=&p20=&p21=&p22=&p23=&p24=

and this:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/Response2.asp?spage=1&x_page_size=10&sql=Y&p1=1%2F1%2F2001&p2=7%2F28%2F2006&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=&p7=&p8=&p9=&p10=&p11=&p12=delta&p13=&p14=&p15=&p16=ev%5Fdate&p17=Desc&p18=&p19=&p20=&p21=&p22=&p23=&p24=

and this:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/Response2.asp?spage=1&x_page_size=10&sql=Y&p1=1%2F1%2F1999&p2=7%2F28%2F2006&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=&p7=&p8=&p9=&p10=&p11=&p12=american+airlines&p13=&p14=&p15=&p16=ev%5Fdate&p17=Desc&p18=&p19=&p20=&p21=&p22=&p23=&p24=

My point isn't to single out just these airlines that I searched. My point is almost every airline that you search is going to have a laundry list of incidents. It is part of the game. It is something that every company tries to mitigate, but no matter what they do, there will always be bent metal. FedEx just happened to have two incidents within a couple of days. Nobody has died. Heck, we don't even know anything about who was at fault yet! Maybe it has absolutely nothing to do with the training program?

None of the FedEx accidents on the NTSB website list a fatality (except one tug operator that was crushed by his buddy). I would say that this is a pretty good record. There aren't too many 121 operators that can say they have never had a death. Sure, FedEx has lost some hulls, but when you are making $568 Million in a quarter, what is a hull or two? :D

mule said:
Sure, FedEx has lost some hulls, but when you are making $568 Million in a quarter, what is a hull or two? :D

I had a comment for this, but since I've probably had one too many tonight, I've edited it out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Acecrack and other knuckleheads like to come to their obvious conclusion that the MD-10 and 727 in SDF are due to pilot error. Airplane maintence is never the cause in any acccidents - it's always the pilot's fault.......keep telling yourself that.

Flightinfo.com............home of the Monday morning quarterbacks..

Last edited:
AceCrackshot said:
Excellent response, Malter1.

One, the hiring should reflect people that have high cycle experience (fighters, regional, fractional) over heavy time.

People like........ AceCrackshot!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back