FedEx First Year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fedex First Year Experience

Hired in January this year. Went to back of 727 till June, then upgraded right seat of 727. Bid and got MD11 in MEM in the Sept bid with an early next year training date. By next fall I should have about 50 folks junior to me in the MD11.....things are moving fast. My 727FE training was in MEM and my 727FO training was in MSP which is now closed due to sim being unreliable. Company is still using MIA and MCO for 727 upgrades. I am a commuter. I had a hard line my third month as an FE and have a secondary line in my third month as an FO.

Couple additional items for you that I didn't know before I got here:

1. Very commuter friendly. You can reserve Fedex jumpseats and if you are coming from where you live, you can use "staging" status which gives you some contract protections if your commute has disruptions. Also, many of the trips have airline tickets on the front and back end. The value of the tickets establishes a monthly travel bank which you can use to commute or "deviate" (fly to/from your trip from home rather than from MEM). I have consistently used Fedex jumpseats on the end of trips to allow me to buy tickets for my commute.

2. Training. Pretty long (2.5 months for FE and 2 months for FO, I hear MD11 is solid 90 days))....make sure the family is ready for saparation time. You'll have a couple of contract mandated breaks and can jumpseat home over the weekend depending on your schedule. Study and show up prepared and the instructors will be there for you. I was very well prepared for my checkrides.

3. Open time. The 727FO seat is a bit over manned. I have been able to manipulate my schedule quite abit and make it more commuter friendly by dropping reserve days and trip trading for open time trips. All depends on manning, if there is a shortage in your seat then the computer may not allow many trades/drops.

Good Luck, welcome.

PS-I checked the last bid results, looks like LAX MD11 FO went senior (about 2000 #'s above MEM and ANC) ANC was a little more junior than MEM.

airmasn said:
anyone know when the meet and greets will begin again? my sponsor and I are still waiting

Last I heard a couple of weeks ago in the training dept is that meet-n-greets may not start again until next summer. They still have a ton of guys in the pile to call. Good luck my friend!!!

anyone know when the meet and greets will begin again? my sponsor and I are still waiting

I heard the first of the year - maybe your sponsor can call and try to set up an appointment and find out for sure.

I talked with a 'bus FO who jumped on my flight today who said the meet and greets are being phased out due to a greater need for crews to fill new planes. Can anyone confirm this? If this is false, I'm in the market for a sponsor:)

I talked with a 'bus FO who jumped on my flight today who said the meet and greets are being phased out due to a greater need for crews to fill new planes. Can anyone confirm this? If this is false, I'm in the market for a sponsor

Nope, I attended a public school growing up so that probably explains why I don't understand why this F/O claims, "the meet & greets are being phased out due to a greater need for crews to fill new planes".......His statement makes no sense.

Or maybe my morning cup of java hasn't kicked in, check back in 45 minutes...

Last edited:
It makes sense ---- I think

Sandman,
I went to public school also, which means I may have it entirely wrong too, but . . . I think what he meant is that they (Fedex) needs to hire so many guys to keep up with number of new airplanes, that the "meet and greets" have become cumbersome for the ACPs/CP. So they may have to stop that practice. I think. Does that make sense?
Fox

Latest resources

Back