FedEx First Year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

purple1day

Just wondering what the first year at FedEx is like. Training, locations of training, schedules, commuting, ect. Also, any advice from the guys who have been there and done that is appreciated.

ask the big beer belly dude.... he knows all.

Training location depends on what a/c you get (72 or 10). All of the 10 is in MEM and most of the 72 is in MEM, with some offsite in Miami and Orlando (don't know the status of Minneapolis and Dallas). As for what airplane you get all depends on the last 4 digits of you social in your newhire class, highest going most senior. There have been some classes with 72 FO seats available, but mostly all 72 and 10 SO positions.

Length of training is ~2.5 months, which is long (at least for me). As for schedules, there is a big difference in airplanes. The 72 is moving quickly due to the number of newhires coming on board. I have held a line since IOE and am sitting around 50% now. The 10 is a completely different scenario, with all of my newhire class still on reserve with no end in sight. Reason being is that the 10 is going away (being converted to md-10's) and the age 60 retirees seem to flock to the back seat of the 10, which makes movement in that seat non-existent. There is an upside to this of course, as the 10 schedules are much better than the 72 schedules (single leg vs. multi-leg, etc). Also, if you live in MEM, life is good on reserve in the 10 (just ask HoursHore).

The schedules vary greatly, there are many, many combinations you can choose from (night, day, DH's, weekends, single day to multi-day trips, am and pm out and backs, etc). It all depends on what you want to do.

Commuting is different strokes for different folks. It all depends on where you live. Being a northeast guy, I have a bunch of options regarding fedex planes. If you live in high density military places (JAX, COS), it is definitely more competitive. As for offlining, the CASS system has been great.

As I stated before, movement is happening right now. The last bid, pretty much anyone who wanted a wide body slot got one, either in MEM or ANC. 72 FO slots were also available to anyone who wanted them. I flew with the bottom of the list 72 capt the other night, he has been here a little under 4 years.

First Year At Fedex

Your question is difficult to answer with less than several long paragraphs. Your experience will greatly depend on where you live (i.e. how hard the commute is) and what your expectations are regarding Fedex. I commute from Spokane, which is a long ways away but, a relatively easy commute in that it is a single hop on the Bus. I just look at it as "nap time" to and from work. Schedules during the first year will vary greatly depending on what seat you end up in. Suffice it to say, everyone these days will do some time in Purgatory on reserve. 727/SO's will get relief a bit earlier. Upgrade opportunities are coming fast with the hiring that is going on right now. People are able to hold MD-11/FO in less than 1 year from hire date. Bottom line for me is that I think Fedex (or UPS I guess) are the best thing going right now and for the foreseeable future. You just have to be willing to take the bad with the good. Luckily, there is significantly more good than bad.

If you have any specific questions, PM me and I will try and answer them.

Adios

Thanks for all the info, especially on the seniority within class info. I plan to commute from the northeast as well one day, and it sounds like if I get the choice the 72 is the way to go for a guy not planning on living in MEM. I am very excited about my first day. Thanks again.

purple1day said:
Thanks for all the info, especially on the seniority within class info. I plan to commute from the northeast as well one day, and it sounds like if I get the choice the 72 is the way to go for a guy not planning on living in MEM. I am very excited about my first day. Thanks again.

when IS your first day? did you already interview? care to post your flight times and background

sstearns2 said:
How long is the wait to get anything in LAX?

Thanks,

Scott

I'm not sure about the last bid, but I looked it over about six months ago. MD-11 F/O went more junior in LAX than MEM, but there aren't that many of them. The -11 Capts at LAX are very, very senior. Higher on avg than both MEM and ANC.

Latest resources

Back