• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx and UAV's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fred Smith would love to have pilotless aircraft, and he has been quoted as saying so.

Could you reference this please?

Also, consider all of the complexity involved in daily
FDX ops: WX, Maint, ATC, diverts. Think some kind of UAV/AI vehicle could handle it?

Is alpa doing anything to ensure that our jobs are secure in 20 years if these planes do arrive? I'm sure someday we'll see them flying freight. I think our only defense is the union puting something in the contract. I also hope that all the pilots would strike before allowing the first one to come on property. I know that there is a ways to go, but I think its something we need to take seriously.

Fr8doggie, I just did a google search for Fred Smith and UAV's. A couple of the articles showed that he was indeed interested in this. This could be bad for our pilot group in 20 years. The money that could be saved is tremendous. For those with only 20 years left there is nothing to worry about. But there are many with 20 - 35 years left that could be affected. If it does happen I hope that the union would have something in the contract and that our pilots would stick together.

I saw the article too.
I think that if any issue would spur unity this would be it. However I don't think unity would matter a whole lot if the technology was in place to make it viable, safe and efficient. What's the leverage?

Is this a serious thread?

Instead of pilotless aircraft, how about idiotless airline boardrooms.

I worked UAV's (Predator) for three years at the factory.
First, more than 40% of all UAV's are GONE!!!!
Second, the FAA is nowhere near in allowing them in the National Air Space.
Third, I'm sure management would love pilotless airplanes, right up until a pilotless airplane crashes into a large or small metropolitan area.

FedEx + UAV's = OUT OF BUSINESS.

yeah,

right up till some terrorist group hacks into the system and turns them into missiles.

Latest resources

Back