FedEx 101

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mr Zog

Since there is seems to always be a post concerning FedEx/UPS lifestyle and flying. I will try to in explain some of the basics at FedEx in the next couple of posts. First of all these are my opinions. I have been with the company for about 41/2 years, am a MD-11 F/O based in LAX. I was on the B-727 panel for exactly one-year (in fact my last activity on the panel was my annual proficiency check), I was an MD-11 F/O in ANC for about 2 years, and have been at LAX ever since. FIrst the basic domestic schedule at FedEx.

FedEx Operations 101

FedEx’s schedule is basically to fly from an out-station to a sort facility, sit while the sort happens, and then fly back to the out-station. This is commonly referred to as a “hub-turn”. FedEx has both a day and night sort (the night sort is a little larger than the day sort). The sorts are basically Monday through Friday. The inbound flights from the sort typically arrive to the sort facility between 10:00-12:00 (a.m. or p.m depending on if it is the day or night sort). The outbound flights will depart usually between 2:00 to 4:00. FedEx’s sort facilities are MEM, IND, OAK, AFW, and EWR, with MEM and IND the bigger ones. For pilots flying the “hub-turn” lines, they are typically week-on and week-off. Every trip must begin and end at the pilot's domicile (for ease just assume MEM as the domicile). The lines will either typically have a deadhead to the out-station on the beginning and end of the line, or have a weekend layover at the out-station. For example, the PHL line. Deadhead to PHL on Sunday, fly PHL to MEM Monday night departing PHL around 9:00 pm, sit in MEM for 3 hours, fly MEM to PHL Tuesday morning. Do that through Friday. Since every trip must end in MEM, they have to deadhead you back to MEM or sit you in PHL until Monday night. With the day sort, we now do the same type of thing but with day flying. Also, we have the out-and-backs for those lucky enough to live in MEM. For the “AM out-and-backs” you will leave on the outbound flights from the night sort, sit two hours at the out station, and fly the inbound leg to day sort. For the “PM out-and-back” you will fly the outbound flights from the day sort, sit a couple of hours at the out station, and fly the inbound leg to the night sort. Confused?

Here are a few examples from the bidpack:

SLC, DC-10 pairing. Day-turn

MEM – SLC: Depart 1530L and Arrive 1752L, crew rest in SLC

SLC – MEM : Depart 0700L and Arrive1040L

EWR, DC-10 pairing. Night turn

MEM – EWR. Depart MEM at 0306L and arrive EWR 0619L, crew rest in EWR

EWR – MEM. Depart EWR at 2248L and arrive MEM 0137L

For these trips you will typically do this the entire week

DFW out-and-backs, DC-10 pairing.

MEM-DFW. Depart 0330L and arrive 0500L

DFW-MEM. Depart 0720L (same day) and arrive MEM 0840L

(gone from MEM for just over 5 hours)

MIA, Evening out-and-back

MEM-MIA. Depart 1600L and arrive1900L

MIA-MEM. Depart 2030L and arrive 2200L (Same day)

Again typically do these the entire week

I would say these type of lines (insert IND, OAK, AFW for MEM for the other sort facitilities) comprise of about 70-80% of the domestic flight schedule.

Future post will talk about the international flying out of ANC and SFS.

Mr Zog

Fantastic info! As you can see by the number of people who viewed this post, there is a lot of interest in this subject. Coming from another line of work (like flying for Uncle Sammy) makes you feel like the new kid in class and it's great to have folks take the time to explain the system. It's like playing golf for the first couple of times (or in my case every time) some people act like they never had a first day on the the course and your the only one who has ever sucked.

See if you can remember the General's wife who asked me this in the cockpit, "Have you ever done this before?"

IrishSkies said:
Mr Zog

Fantastic info! As you can see by the number of people who viewed this post, there is a lot of interest in this subject. Coming from another line of work (like flying for Uncle Sammy) makes you feel like the new kid in class and it's great to have folks take the time to explain the system. It's like playing golf for the first couple of times (or in my case every time) some people act like they never had a first day on the the course and your the only one who has ever sucked.

See if you can remember the General's wife who asked me this in the cockpit, "Have you ever done this before?"

Brother from Another,

How's training going? Saw you got panel of the -10? Do I remember the General's wife, that was my "Finny" trip in the active duty. KC-135 in the early dawn over CA after flying all night from Korea? Best air refueling I ever saw......
Nothing wrong with you doing a "limit demo" for the General's wife (Just kidding!!). If you had any guts you would have said, "No, but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express." Ask "HomerSimpson" about my AR on a three ship of KC-135s over the Mediterranean? Trying to refuel on #3 when he is going about 30-40 knots fast to stay in position (Minimum Fuel, Breakaway). Wondered myself if I had ever done this before...

PS. "You called the Wolf"

Last edited:
You know my wife? She told me she only liked UPS pilots? She is such a LIAR!!!!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back