• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fed Ex Fleet questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Out of curiosity (and for when I get my 4 year degree) I have a few fleet questions if anyone can field them for me I'd appreciate it.

1) Are all the DC10's being converted to MD10's if not, how many DC10's will remain in the fleet?
2) Do the DC10 crews also fly the MD10 or do the MD11 crews fly the MD10?
3) Are they hiring into the back seat of the 10 or are those seats going to the over 60 guys?

Ok now 727
1) How many -100's left?
2) How many -200's have the engine conversion(MD80)?
I am assuming although being replaced they will be around for some time particularly the -200's and with the engine mods.

General
1) What seats are most new hires getting and what bases?

Thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity (and for when I get my 4 year degree) I have a few fleet questions if anyone can field them for me I'd appreciate it.

1) Are all the DC10's being converted to MD10's if not, how many DC10's will remain in the fleet?
2) Do the DC10 crews also fly the MD10 or do the MD11 crews fly the MD10?
3) Are they hiring into the back seat of the 10 or are those seats going to the over 60 guys?

Ok now 727
1) How many -100's left?
2) How many -200's have the engine conversion(MD80)?
I am assuming although being replaced they will be around for some time particularly the -200's and with the engine mods.

General
1) What seats are most new hires getting and what bases?

Thanks for the info.

I welcome corrections if I don't get this quite right.

Yes, all DC-10s that can be converted, will be. I believe the eventual plan is to have no more DC-10s. Right now we still have about 30.
DC-10 guys fly the DC-10. The MD-11/MD-10 is a common type rating and those crews fly either one.
I have not heard of a new hire going to the back of the -10 in a while. That is the obviously more popular territory for "herpes" over 60 guys that can hold it.

-100 727s left: Last figure I heard was less than 15. They are true dinosaurs on their way out quickly.
-200 Valsan 727s (JT8D-217 engines): 18, I think.

Now the guesswork area. All bets are off here. No clue on how long the 727 will actually remain. 757 was announced as the replacement earlier this fall. If that actually happens, my guess is they will trickle in and start out as additional "lift" with no change to the 727 fleet. As they become more numerous and the program gets more "traction", perhaps we'll see the 727s start to leave as more 757s arrive. Hard to really say for sure. 727s are old POSs but they're paid for and they do the job fairly reliably. Maybe the company will decide they like the extra lift if the 757s come on board and they'll decide they can't part with the 727s for a while. Who knows.

New hires: 727 MEM (only base). Sometimes you see them go straight to the right seat but not that common. Most guys start on the panel. They are short there right now, so I'd expect most new hires to be heading in that direction for a while. One of the reasons they are short in the back of the 727 is the company spent the spring-summer hiring new guys into the right seat of the MD-11 in ANC. That was a first and could happen again, I suppose, if they don't get the numbers up in ANC like they wanted. Again, who knows.

Hope that helps. If I got something wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in.

Talked to a HR rep during week one and she inferred that there would be 9 or 10 727 right seaters per new hire class for a while. So far this is holding true, and I hope it continues.

Fedex posted in climbto350.....does this mean that they are running out of internal recommendations? Any new rumors regarding getting an interview?

i seriously doubt that there is a shortage of recomendations as why wouldn't everyone want to work there. the rumor is that intervies will start up more frequently after the first of the year. going into peak and they are busy enough although still have class in dec which is mighty awsome.

Latest resources

Back