Fed Court OK's Comair Pilots Lawsuit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
You know ALPA is going to favor Delta mainline versus Comair/ASA because they get more $$$ from the Delta pilots.

I can't agree with you more, General. And the RJDC exists to make sure ALPA fights for those it pledges to fight for, not just the ones with the most money. In this case, ALPA is scoping the poor to feed the rich. Don't let the fact that your management is not making money, and ours is, jade the fact that ALPA is not living up to its obligations.

ALPA demands the airlines live up to their contractual obligations. God forbid somebody ask ALPA to do the same.

Heavy Set said:
Surplus1,

You sure seem cocky. I heard that atleast 6 other motions were dismissed. But, You probably will not advertise that. If ALPA knew they were going to lose, they would probably settle, but I am sure they have things up their sleeves too. Also, there was no ruling here, just the judge allowing the suit to go forward. You still have a large hill to climb, and there will probably be many obstacles along the way.

No not cocky, merely assertive with respect. ALPA well may offer to settle, not necessarily because they "know they will lose" (one never knows that until the fat lady sings) but also to avoid revelation of the skeletons in its closet during the discovery process and to avoid the establishment of precedent.

You are correct that this is not a verdict on the merits of the case. The decision merely upholds that the allegation of violation of the duty of fair representation is a propersly stated legal claim. We may therefore proceed to trial on the merits of the case.

It is also true, as stated by others, that other counts on the litigation were dismissed. Thinking that to be significant is merely proof of a lack of knowledge and understanding of the legal process.

The key element and most important count in the lawsuit relates to the duty of fair representation That has always been the case and the crux of the issue. If we prevail in trial on the surviving count (DFR claim) whether or not grievances were heard will be irrelevant anyway. To put it simply, where it mattered we prevailed, where it did not matter we lost. Those who think that ALPA won a victory on the dismissed counts, can safely be accused of being "in over their heads" on the significance of this case.

As Winston Churchill said, "The problems of victory are more agreeable than the problems of defeat, but they are no less difficult." We are very much aware that this is only the begining of the end.

If you guys don't like how ALPA is treating you, I would think you and ASA should leave.

Although I'm sure that you, your peers and the ALPA would like to see us leave, I happily inform you that we are here for the duration. If you don't like the outcome, I offer you the same option.

While I think it would be foolish for you to leave the ALPA, and I know it will not protect you from the effects of a final judgement against the ALPA if you take your ball and run, the mere fact that you feel that you would prefer unfair representation and the violation of federal law that it constitutes speaks volumes. I'm quite sure that every convicted thief would prefer that laws against stealing should be abolished, but even attempted robbery is still a crime.

ALPA's breach of the DFR must and will end

surplus1 said:
Although I'm sure that you, your peers and the ALPA would like to see us leave, I happily inform you that we are here for the duration. If you don't like the outcome, I offer you the same option.

While I think it would be foolish for you to leave the ALPA, and I know it will not protect you from the effects of a final judgement against the ALPA if you take your ball and run, the mere fact that you feel that you would prefer unfair representation and the violation of federal law that it constitutes speaks volumes. I'm quite sure that every convicted thief would prefer that laws against stealing should be abolished, but even attempted robbery is still a crime.

You guys toss around the phrase "if you don't like it, leave" way too much. Everyone knows that individual pilots have virtually no say in these larger union issues. All we can do is work for change within the system. Frankly, it would be my preference that unions were not necessary to secure decent pay and work rules for pilots, but that just isn't going to happen in the airline industry.

Latest resources

Back