Feb SWA Class???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

qxeplt

Anyone know or been contacted about a possible Feb 3, 03 class and has Flt Ops confirmed the class yet? Just ready to get this show on the road like the rest of you...

Last edited:
bowl games

I think they are waiting for the bowl games to end to sort out the natio............. oh wrong board.

I hope they are simply waiting to see who the last 6 Jan person is and then they'll start calling shortly after that class starts. Of course I've been optimistic for 10 or so months, so my opinion is not necessarily valid.

Slug

March class....

I got called last night by LL & a PHX CP inviting me to start on March 17th!!!:D

Can't wait to head out in a few weeks to DAL, they are sending 2 must fly passes for me and the wife to be there on Sunday prior to class starting!!!!

They also commented that the "new" training pay is $4000/mo.... AND they will be covering all costs for meals, uniforms, brain bag & luggage......

and then I woke UP!?!?

Too much champagne, porked out on food and wine w/ a GREAT dinner last night, an over active imagination - all led to a wonderful dream.... I guess it will come true soon?????

Sweet dreams everyone - see you in DAL - who knows, maybe in March??????:D :D :D

Tred

The last time I checked in Lindsey said I may make that February 3rd class but that the class hasn't yet been confirmed by fltops...this was about three weeks ago. I heard through a friend that they are pulling two planes out of the desert, apparently new ones sent to storage, and that things should be cranking up.

I was looking at the SWA pool list and see that I've slipped to #25 (jetpltrich), used to be #24. If the list is only down to #10, is PTInbound's math still correct?

Happy New Year!

RJ

Last edited:
New Poolie Factor

RJones said:
If the list is only down to #10, is PTInbound's math still correct?

RJ

Not exactly. Back in November, when LL started telling individuals what class to roughly expect, (reference the “Time for fingerprinting” and the “SWA Pool Rat Towels????” threads), I broke out my slide ruler and tried my hand at a little math. I wrote this back in November, but decided not to post it then because it was too long. Now that the question has come back up, I decided to post it. It was written based on the Pool list from 1 Nov, but it is still good enough for a rough hack. Considering that I am just an Air Force pilot, I am taking a big risk in posting my findings. Oh well, here we go.

Fact #1: Our unofficial list has 245 as of 1 Nov.

Fact #2: It comes from very reliable sources that the actual number of SWApoolies is 360. I am considering this number fact, but since this information is kept in a vault in Dallas…….

Assumption #1: All classes have 20 new hires. Historically, they have had 20-26 per class. We all hope they will have more than 20 per class, but that is my assumption during my ciphering.

Based on these facts, #245 is actually #360. This would be a factor of 1.47. (245 x 1.47 = 360). This is very close to the “PT poolie factor” of 1.4979 (reference “3rd Qtr. Earnings at SWA” thread). Can everyone use this factor of 1.47? Only if the extra 115 poolies were spread evenly amongst us. I don’t think this is the case. I think the extra 115 are mostly toward the front. Here is why.

“Duke23” (unofficial #104) was told by LL that he would be in the 9th class. Worst case, that would make Duke #180. (Class #9 would be actual SWApoolies #161-180). So, duke23 would have a factor of 1.73 (104 x 1.73 = 180).

“W8n4swa” (unofficial #85) stated that LL told him he was about 8 classes away. Worst case, that would make w8n #160. (Class #8 would be actual SWApoolies #141-160). So, W8n4swa would have a factor of 1.88 (85 x 1.88 = 160).

I have used this same logic and applied it to the 6 other poolies who posted tentative class date information from LL on the thread “SWA Pool Rat Towels????” Again, this information (except for 1900 driver) is based on what LL has told these individuals to tentatively expect for a class #. The following are the data points:

Unofficial SWApoolie#//AF757Pilot's Factor//Actual poolie #??
245 (1900 Driver)//1.47//341-360
136 (Red Leader//1.60//201-220
104 (Duke23)//1.73//161-180
94 (xmetrojet)//1.70//141-160
85 (W8n4SWA)//1.88//141-160
82 (Cruiser)//1.70//121-140
55 (tailstall)//1.8//081-100
29 (hpaul3)//2.0//041-060
20 (qxeplt)//2.0//021-040

The class in July 2002 was a little skewed due to Stop Loss, but I think we had around 11 from the unofficial SWApoolie list go to that class. That would yield a factor of about 1.9.

I can’t explain the apparent inconsistency in my data points around W8n4SWA. If that person was on the bubble between classes, it would skew things.

It looks to me like most of the 115 phantom poolies are toward the front 1/3. These are not a lot of data points to use, but with a little interpolation you should be able to find a factor that would give you a realistic number for your planning. Someone smart would be able to make a real nice graph of this stuff, but that is not I.

Since writing this, LL told me that I am "on the bubble" for this year. If that statement was based on training 180-200 this year, that would support my numbers posted above. The fact that only 10 of our list got in the Jan 6 class also supports it.

I hope somebody finds this info useful and not too confusing or lengthy. See you in Dallas.

AF

AF,

All I can say while reading that post after a night of over indulgence in beverages containing the ever effective ingredient "alcohol" is......... WOW!! At the same time, though...Thank you for taking the time to figure out our tredding water time. I was told that I'm "on the bubble" for this year too.

beechball

Now, where's that floating bar?????

115 Phantom Poolies

It looks to me like most of the 115 phantom poolies are toward the front 1/3.

OK phantom poolies, it's 2003, and you've been here how long now.....What do you all say we get this list together? How 'bout it? I just got my 2002-2003 Pool Rat shirt the other day, pulled it out of the dryer and smiled; and I'm wondering why you guys don't want to join in with the rest of us. It's been a LONG wait, but I've really enjoyed paddling in this pool. Which, by the way, will go down as the best pool in SWA history.

SWA picked you phantoms based on your personality, so what do you say; let's get to know you. We've all been wondering who you are. Come on in, the water's warm. Maybe a little yellow, but warm. W8n4swa will be glad to sign you up.

Here's a New Year's resolution for the rest of us: Let's let these 115 guys know that it's OK to get wet.

Updated Class Projection

In my December conversation with LL several weeks ago, she reported I was 7 classes out (about #105 on our list). That was a jump of two classes since I talked to her in Nov. LL told me once the 4th quarter and annual profit were officially announced, the PD/Flight Ops would have a much clearer picture of the first half of 03. Our January calls should be interesting.

I belive that although SWA has 360 on their list, they are finding that some of the poolies have moved on and the real number is actully less than 360. I know 2 guys who SWA may think are in their pool (not on our list), but in reality one has signed a 5 year bonus with the AF and the other is getting ready to start with Fed Ex. There have to be more, and the longer one has been in the pool, the more likely that person may have found employment elsewhere. There will also be some Navy/AF reservists who are just not going to be available this spring.

I ran into a SWA captain friend yesterday and he reported the interesting rumor that SWA may not retire all the -200s this year. Since there are not a lot of airlines buying used -200s right now, SWA may keep several, totally remod the cockpits, and keep them flying doing the Texas shuffle. If this turns out to be true, the net A/C gain this year may be more than 11.

Happy New Year....hope to meet 19 of you soon!

Duke23

Guys leavin' the pool

I personally know 2 guys who bailed...1 to JetBlue and 1 to a 5-year AF bonus. Their numbers are less than 110...one is less than 50.

Hope to see you guys soon...And I LUV my Tee and Towel set.

DirtyNasty

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back