Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks!

Floatplane said:
Free Turbine or dual spool engines are not directly connected to the propeller, hense the term free. The propeller is definitely in the fully feathered position when these tests are performed. The propeller will not stop on this type of engine/propeller configuration. Infact, the ATR has an option for a propeller brake that can bring the propeller to a complete stop and the engine can remain running. Hope this helps clear up any confussion you may have.

Thank you all for your explanations. It makes sense now. I guess I was confused as I've only flow in a piston-powered twin. What got me is the fact that propeller control, or condition lever as they call it, controls the prop only not affecting the turbine section.

Last edited:
What got me is the fact that propeller control, or condition lever as they call it

Two different things. Prop controls prop, condition is fuel.

Auto-coarsen and auto-feather are two different things.

Depends on the aircraft.

Skysba,

To answer your question about the EMB-120. The Hamilton Standard 14RF-9 propeller does not fail to a feathered position if oil is lost, like in an engine failure. However there are four different ways to feather the prop.
1.Autofeather
2.Electric feather
3.Manual feather
4.Fire handle

At GIA we are required to test the autofeather and test the manual feather during our "after engine start'(before taxi) checklist. If any parameters are not met with the feathering test the airplane is grounded until rectified.

Hope this helps.

SkySBA said:
So condition levers are similar to mixture controls on a prop plane?

Not really. The condition levers control fuel and propeller RMP. In the EMB-120, when the condition levers are fully retarded, that is the fuel cutoff position. During engine start the condition levers are pushed to the first detent which is (fuel on, propellers feathered). The engines will run all day in feather spinning at about 300 RPM(I think). When you are ready to taxi the condition levers are pushed to the next detent (min RPM). This is about 58% RPM or so (All RPMs are in % in the 120). When you are ready for takeoff the condition levers are pushed full forward. This will govern the props at 100% when the power levers are advanced for takeoff. We leave them there until we set cruise power. We will pull the condition levers back to about 85% NP for cruise. Without getting too technical, the condition levers basically are used to turn the fuel on or off to the engine. Then they are used to set propeller RPM. The "fuel mixture" is handled by the HMUs and EECs (manual and electronic fuel controls) which work automatically.

Last edited:
Buy "Turbine Pilots Manual" it explains how various/generic turbo-prop and turbo-jet engines and other systems work. Even has nice diagrams and even a CD-ROM with animation to better visualize the information in the book. It's actually a pretty easy-read. Unlike most aviation technical manuals.

Last edited:
bugchaser said:
Two different things. Prop controls prop, condition is fuel.

Some turbines have the two combined into one lever. Saab's, anything with a garrett, ATR's, EMB-120s, and a few others have only 2 levers/engine. Whereas, anything with a PT-6 (kingair) has 3 levers/engine.

Latest resources

Back